Is it possible to model this?

Hello,

Here is a common situation that occured during WW2:

Following a victorious assault, German (for example sake) troops occupy a village/town which is their objective. The Soviet defenders are routed so German troops (let us assume a battalion) start plundering the village in search of food etc. They are so sure of their victory that the German CO, not expecting a counter attack anytime soon, doesnt rush organizing his troops immediately. This could be a regular or veteran battalion.

Yet, while the German troops chase pigs and chickens for a good meal, a politruk halts the fleeing Soviet defenders (say, a company) and organizes them very quickly. Understrength yet determined, Soviet company sneaks into assault positions and waits for Germans to start cooking their food.

At the right time, about a hundred Soviet troops assault the village and the entire German battalion (since they were caught totaly unawares) is annihilated.

Is it possible to model such a scenario? Is the effect of "surprise" included in the game model? I know that movement orders (move, run, assault, advance etc) somewhat affect unit awarenes. How about stationary units? Can they have differing levels of awarenes?

I am planning to make a scenario with such a situation but I am not sure if it is possible. Any suggestions?

You might also consider having the Soviets arrive as reinforcements in the middle of the german positions. They should have the element of surprise if the Germans are suppressed and tired to begin with, and will simulate that kind of close combat I think you want. This will also ensure a most most chaotic battle.

- B.

Originally posted by momishuli:

Following a victorious assault, German (for example sake) troops occupy a village/town which is their objective. The Soviet defenders are routed so German troops (let us assume a battalion) start plundering the village in search of food etc.

Ahhh ............Peng

Love

Alice

Rather than scattering the HQ units around the town, put them all in the biggest house in the village. After all, they're probably eating in the unofficial officers' mess together, no? Make sure that the building they're in puts them out of C&C of their men, has no adjacent cover and concealment, and that part of the Russian force is set up in a position to mow down any of the officers who try to rejoin their men.

Add low levels of ammunition to the other suggestions made here for the German forces to account for them not being able to find all their equipment in the panic. This should create the kind of effect you're looking for. Remember that command delays will be reduced if the German battalion is "veteran", so make them regulars.

[ December 29, 2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: ColdSober ]