Best books on WW II inside.

The website below has some of the most obscure resources I have seen. They are absolutely brilliant. I have ordered just a few but they are great. The link is in the last battles in the east section, but there is a section finder a little bit down the page. Check it out here

[ October 20, 2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

At the prices they are charging, they'd better be good. I'm not sure, but I believe I've seen some of those titles at lower prices elsewhere. On the other hand, there are some there that I haven't seen anywhere else as yet. Note that several of them are not in English yet.

Michael

Originally posted by Renaud:

I noticed one book listed that I have heard mention of before. Can anyone tell me what they think of this book? Worth getting?

Title: The Battle of Kursk

Author: David M. Glantz & Jonathan M. House

Ren

Renaud,

I totally endorse you buying that book. Glantz takes both German and Soviet sources to give quite probably the definitive book on that operation.

The Battle of Kursk is really well done.

It does a great job rewriting the true history of the Kursk Operations.

Just ten years ago respected authors were saying that 2000 tanks clashed on the fields of Prokhorovka and the Tigers and Panthers slew twice their numbers in enemy T-34s, but they kept coming and begin ramming and fireing at point blank into the German tanks, until they forced the Germans backed to Berlin.

Glantz and House to a almost sciencetific job dissecting what really happen in July 1943. All books that write about Kursk now, will site his book as a refrence.

I have a book on Kursk published in 1968 by Geoffrey Jukes, "Kursk: the clash or armour", which states the numbers from 12 July 43 at Prokhorovka as:

German tanks: 'nearly' 700

Russian tanks: 'about' 850 (including 'some' SP guns)

German/Russian losses: 'more than' 300 each.

remaining tanks, german: 'little more than' 350

remaining tanks, russian: 'over' 500

In other areas it seems like a pretty balanced account. Probably because Jukes was a professional historian and soviet military policy expert, rather than the amateur enthusiast or news correspondent (so often the bane of military histories), the account is fairly scholarly. Looks like I avoided the 'nazi-superhero myth' version you refer to. I've been looking for something to compare it to and this new book seems like the one.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Ren

Here's a link to one of the best and my favorite WWII book sites. Landmark Military Books

Im currently reading a book called "SS Panzergrenadier" by Hans Schmidt, 2001. If you ever wondered how Waffen SS soldiers were trained or how they felt and thought during the war, then this book is for you. He talks of his war experiences from his first combat assignment at the Battle of the Bulge, to Hungary, and at the end of the war Austria. Very interesting read.

[ October 21, 2002, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]

My next book purchase will be about the kursk battle. Im either gonna get the one talked about in the above posts or this one . It's called "Images of Kursk: History's Greatest Tank Battle". Has anybody checked this one out? Anybody by any chance read through both of these? Which one is better and more informative? I suppose their probably both plenty good in there own way. Just curious!

P.S. Fixed the link in my first post.

[ October 22, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]