flying metal

Having a tank half blown away could be a very real thing but I have always just thought of the graphical aspect of the game as a plus. BFC wants the mechanics of the game to be correct and the eye candy sort of takes a back seat. That being said it would be nice to see improved damage modeling but that will be down the road a ways I would suspect. Right now you just have to be content with playing the best combat sim ever made.

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

Steel beasts models turrets being blown off, although I bet way too frequently. Every second shot seems like it knocks off the turret, is that even possible? It's just an AP/sabot shell with little HE.

I'm no grog (or an adult for that matter) but I think the flying tuerrets is just fine. I only have the demo. Anyway- they don't seem to do that often on first round hits. But I have seen turrets get blown off after the AFV has burned for a while... although I have no idea if thats due to rounds cooking off or the ICM that's blanketing the area. :D

Anyway doesn't the M1 use depleted uranium AP rounds? I've read they're become very hot (whether theyre just hot or become hot on firing or impact I don't know), and since russian tanks stow ammo inside, I think the possibility of having a really big explosion is high.

I've never yet had an M1 turret blown off though.

And back on the CM aspect, does CM model infantry casualties due to having a tank knocked out near the supporting infantry?

edit: bits of the tank or of the armor where the round penetrated do fly off right? like I said I'm no grog... smile.gif

[ December 27, 2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: l3w53r ]

There are many accounts of T-34 s having the turrets blown 10 - 20 feet up in the air. I have even seen some WWII film showing this. German 88mm Flak guns, as well as Tigers 88 L/56 were known for causing this to happen. That said, it didn't happen very often.

[ December 27, 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

The DU rounds of the M1 become incendiary on impact. Usually the only time the turret will go flying is with a large calibur hit at or near the turret ring. There are lots of films of this happening because it is cool to watch so those pictures get saved more than just a regular hit. Most tanks will die due to internal damage and fire. When a tank dies, usually the only way to tell is that it stops moving and shooting at you. I've seen armored vehicles that have been taken out by various weapons and most of the time all you see on the outside is a relatively small hole. Inside, however, is another story. I saw a BMP that took an AP round in the driver's compartment. The round left a whole about as big around as your thumb on the outside but on the inside the compartment looked like swiss cheese.

Because most of the force is directed into the tank there isn't a large splash radius even with HEAT rounds. Infantry working with tanks normally stay at least 10 meters away as tankers tend to get excited when they get shot at and don't always tell the grunts where they are driving.

Personally I think the vehicle death scenes in BB are much better than BO. BO gave you a little too much immediate feedback.

Note to RSColonel: During the Gulf War one of our M1s got stuck in the sand and so the company decided to destroy it because recovery assets were too far away. They hit the ammo and all it did was pop the blow out pannels on the top of the turret. They hit the engine but the Halon system kept putting out any fires. When recovery assets did get there they found that there were no major penetrations and they were able to replace the engine and the blowout panels and have the tank battle worthy within a day. Modern tanks, Western ones at least, are so compartmentalized that it really takes a lot to kill them.

I had a buddy who was a tank commander in Iraq and while he was buttoned up trying to find something on his map he felt his tank rock slightly from side to side. He thought someone had run into him and popped out to give them hell only to see an Iraqi T-72 firing at them from within 1000 meters!

[ December 27, 2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Sgtgoody ]