night game tactics??

night fights are the only way to go: reduced visibility is the great leveller. your uber tanks can't just sit in a corner popping at everything in sight, for one thing. short range fire power is at a premium, and heavy armour is mitigated considerably (man-portable AT kit is extremely effective at night). Artillery is still useful (as is smoke) but you'll generally have to drop it blind.

night also opens the floodgates for psych warfare: a few teams and lmgs look the same as or 3 platoons from even a short distance; an armour sound contact can be a KT or a kubelwagen. plus, have you noticed how innacurate the actual location of the contact is? you can much more easily mount an effective monile defence at night.

i'd say, at night make lots of diversions: give him sound contacts which mislead. move around a lot, even if you're defending. if its a big map, try a flanking probe well away from the main action. if he hasn't covered any "blank areas" of the map with a picket, you might be able to get behind him.

if you're attacking, sneak your main attack as far up as possible, hiding any vehicles periodically to blank them out. if you really want true FoW, try night/thick fog: visibility down to 50m and sound contacts all over the shop.

a final point is, if you're playing hotseat or tcp in the same room with the speakers on, use the 'button up' command repeatedly for each tank. initially this creates the illusion of a massive and twitchy tank armada, but after a while it just annoys the crap out of him thus making him prone to errors of judgement :D

• 1 year later...
if you're playing hotseat or tcp in the same room with the speakers on, use the 'button up' command repeatedly for each tank. initially this creates the illusion of a massive and twitchy tank armada, but after a while it just annoys the crap out of him thus making him prone to errors of judgement
hahaha. tis what i call psych war....

I always try to keep a front line so then my troops dont shoot each other too much. When you stagger your troops (especially with troops out in front), they almost always get shot at. This is especially true when you are fighting with green/conscript troops. Also dont get your armour close to the treelines. You never know who's waiting in there for them smile.gif

Chad

Snipers do that...that is one of their tasks to Scout. It is not gamey at all !

They were used as FOs and could call in artillery too. Perhaps, this type of unit should be modelled into CM

Originally posted by Pak40:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Warmaker:

Hmmm... interesting way of doing nightfighting. A different approach...

yes it's interesting but it's also a little gamey IMO. Sharpshooters don't run around with radios to tell their CO's where the enemy troops are.

But in defensive situations it was common practice to have small listening posts with phones/radios ahead of the MLR.

Maybe BTS should make a listening post unit?</font>

Originally posted by Warmaker:

As far as being on the defense, using half squads are my third favorite option (1st:good sharpshooters. 2nd:LMG42 teams) for LPs/OPs. Sorry to hear about using Sharpshooters as OPs/LPs as gamey, gonna have to revise their usage for fairness. My only beef is that CMBO does not allow you to set engagement ranges for us semi-micromanagement types. There's nothing I hate more than to have my OPs/LPs begin firing at about 200m and thereby losing valuable intelligence gathering. I dunno, I was used to this from Talonsoft's East Front games.

How about using the Covered Arc command to specify engagement range?

PvK