Having trouble manually targeting smoke rounds...help anyone?

Hi, new guy here, learning the game and having trouble getting my on-board mortar and my afv to fire their smoke rounds. I select smoke and target an in-LOS spot in front of my waiting-to-advance infantry with area fire, but then they switch to HE and target enemy units instead. Any suggestions on this particular problem, or on manual targeting (and how to get it to stick) in general? Thanx...

First the on board mortar. I try to ALWAYS use indirect fire. If they can see, they can be seen, inviting a lethal response. If they are out of LOS and in command radius of HQ (and both 'unhidden' )they will not switch smoke rounds.

However, it seems that the Tac AI will switch to HE for AFV's certainly and probably for mortars regularly when there are spotted units in LOS. A way to deal with this is use the covered arcs. For your tanks set a narrow angle 'armor only' covered arc to cover the area where you want the smoke to hit.

I suppose a similar reg covered arc could be used for the mortars, but obviosuly if there are any enemy units in the arc, your mortar would open up on them. Thats why using indirect morar fire is advantageous. safer, more efficient and greater control.

[ December 27, 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: jdmorse ]

Thanks, I did try some covered arc tricks, but still had trouble...but will try again. From reading the manual I thought that manually selecting a target would override the TacAI except in emergencies, but apparently this isn't the case (with area-targeted smoke anyway).

That brings up another basic question...if I manually target with a unit, and then want to switch back to the TacAI in the next turn, how do I do that? I used "Target Next" but seemed like I still had units shooting at the "next" target, and then taking a blow doing nothing when that target ducked. Maybe there's a better way (maybe manually target something, then "Cancel target," thereby defaulting to TacAI?)

thx again smile.gif

Originally posted by Searcher:

That brings up another basic question...if I manually target with a unit, and then want to switch back to the TacAI in the next turn, how do I do that?

Just use 'cancel target'... remeber the TacAI is always on. Despite your orders, if a greater threat is perceived your unit will shift on their own, or even run.crawl like hell! smile.gif

It's probably best to manually target when you are sure you want to focus on that particular one. Often better to leave it off and give your men their independence, unless clearly called for. Otherwise, they miss opportunity, because you forgot about them (esp in big ganes) and didn't cancel fire , esp area fire