Scenario Depot Update

After a significant amount of work, I am pleased to announce to unveiling of the PHP/MySQL version of the Scenario Depot.

The Scenario Depot now allows you to submit Amazon-style reviews of your favorite scenarios and operations.

File downloads are still not enabled, but I'll be implementing that over the next week or so.

Come on over and kick the tires/tracks.

Wow, that site is amazing! You have gone above and beyond the call on this one and deserve accolades! Great job, I even reviewed a scenario.

I call on everyone who reads this to go there and review the scenarios you've played! Shopw a little appreciation for the wonderful work the Admiral has done!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Stone:

Do you need zips of scenarios that are listed as "N/A" on the downloadable field? Or do you have copies of them already?

Stoner<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David,

Thanks for the offer! I believe that I have a large number of the scenarios listed in the database, but there are some which are MIA. I would sincerely appreciate it if you could send me any Zips for which you can authorize me to host. They will be more 'up-to-date' than the ones I might have.

All scenario authors...

If you have scenarios that you would like hosted (I've got 500Mb's of web space and 5Gb transfer), please send them. Note that I will be sending requests to all of the listed authors asking their permission to host or link to their scenarios.

I would like to thank everyone for their overwhelming support and suggestions. Expect great things from this site in the coming weeks.

Superb sight. You have my thanks for the effort you have put into this, and your scruples in only publishing scenarios that you have the author's permission for is noteworthy. What a temptation it must be to just slap them up there!

Well done. Enjoy your homebrew in good health.

Looking spiffy. Should be great.

One suggestion on content, though. A number of the scenarios have titles "The XYZ" or The PDQ", and right now you've got all of those listed under "T", for "The". Um, 40 of them. I think it might be better to spread those out, by listing them under the first letter of the next word after "The". I for one would looked for a scenario like "The Mad Minute" under "M", or "The Clearing" under "C". You could put a "XYZ, The" at the end to avoid confusion about the scenario meant, if you like.

Obviously, your call - it is just a suggestion.

Also for others on this thread, anyone know where I ought to submit a new scenario these days, so that people see it? Here obviously, once that feature is up. Where else? I've got a new one called "Race Across France" ready, looking for playtesters.

I think leaving "The" in the title may make some sense, if only to be consistent with the way the CD orders them. Goes against my grain, but consistency is, as Martha Stewart might say, "a good thing."

Jason, as for your scenario try Super Ted - he has the lowdown on all the Combat Mission sites...

it's his job ;)

You can reach him by going to the main page at CMHQ and clicking on the "contact the news editor" button, whatever it is called.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

I think it might be better to spread those out, by listing them under the first letter of the next word after "The". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JasonC,

Being a Senior Technical Writer for about 15 years now, it kinda goes against my grain as well. However, once I implement the Search feature, this type of English faux pas goes away.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Also for others on this thread, anyone know where I ought to submit a new scenario these days, so that people see it? Here obviously, once that feature is up<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Working on this feature right now. Hoping to have it implemented by end of 06.03.01.

Yep,

Another update! Several major enhancements!

* User-submission for battles and operations enabled.

* Search engines for battles and operations enabled - multiple search criteria!

* Graphics to show new battles and operations younger than 10 days.

AWESOME site, Admiral! smile.gif

I believe I'll be a regular visitor. I also have a bunch of CC2 recreations to download.

Quick question. I've posted about 4 reviews to various scenarios yesterday, but have yet to see them "up in lights." smile.gif

Do you review each review? Or do they just take some time to post. Or have I screwed up somfink?

Later

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KnifeForkSpoon:

...I've posted about 4 reviews to various scenarios yesterday, but have yet to see them "up in lights." smile.gif...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ack!

And that's what happens when you forget to AUTO_INCREMENT a field in MySQL.

All fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

...Do you review each review? Or do they just take some time to post...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer is...Negative. All reviews are posted immediately and are unedited.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Windopaene:

It appears that one can only see one review per scenario, even though in some cases, it looks as if more than one has been entered, (total ratings > 10).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears to be a browser-related issue. Works fine in IE but Netscape displays the last record. I'll look into that.

PanzerLeader,

I considered both methods (average and sum total). Never too late to change I suppose...perhaps other people can chime in here. Which is it gang...average or sum total.

Michael,

All outstanding ideas. I'll see how many I can plug in over the next couple of weeks.

Windopaene,

Error corrected...cantankerous Netscape...</table> tags...grrrrr

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Admiral Keth ]

Great site. Needs to be the average total though otherwise it won't be relevant once you get a few people to review it (e.g if the average is 7 then we know it is a half way decent average but if the sum is 59.6 then I don't know what that really means unless I know how many reviewed it and then did the math myself...which might turn out to be an average of 2.4 which means it is a lousy scenario). I'm starting to download more scenarios, since I download a batch at a time and only place them in my CMBO directory when I'm ready to play, and your site is a great help.

Panzer Leader,

A documented MySQL drawback states that the MySQL will return an "Out of Memory" error if it returns too many results within a single query. I am working on code which will break the grand results up into seperate pages of 50 to 100 results per page, thus circumventing this little problem. Each of the pages will have a clickable link to navigate to that page, as well as PRV and NEXT buttons. Look for this shortly.

PantherGunner,

As described on the Waht's New page, I have changed ALL SUM() calculations to AVG(). It now more accurately reflects the average cumulative ratings. Plus, I have added a column on the index pages which show how many reviews this particular battle or operation has recieved. I hope these are waht you were looking for.