CM in Mac OS X - how long to wait and how many more excuses?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for number 2-I was messing with the brand

new G5 Mac or top of the line Mac-at BestBuy

and was trying to open the CD rom and couldn't find a button to open it so off course tried

the keyboard and it opened-I just don't like that

feature-also the new Mac OS you can't play

CM-maybe the older ones you can-New G5 Mac

is prob the fastest PC there is but with not

much game support for it-also the Mac-mouse is weird too but you can get a reg-MS mouse and it can work on a Mac.

Well I don't know if what I've said would be considered bitting but you did bite 1st-just

that's my spin on Macs-if Macs where the best

PC then why isn't there game support-and why does

Mac make goofy controls-well you have a Mac

you tell me with all do respect-but yes I don't

like Macs because of what I've mentioned.

[ May 12, 2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: TufenHuden ]

Well, there are people who do lots of things with computers that aren't games. smile.gif

Actually, depending on the device and the newer Windows operating systems, you need to do a dismount before removing the device anyway -- for example, the little USB memory sticks. At least with the Mac it is a consistent interface: All removable media has to be dismounted before removing. And this is enforced by the operating system for most devices.

I'm not completely sure I like the eject button on the keyboard either, but that only affects certain models. The new iMac G5s have slot-loading optical drives, so there isn't any tray to open.

I'll grant you the standard mouse, but it's easy enough to get a 3rd party multi-button rodent, and the latest OS has plenty of support for it.

In addition to the much nicer integration and consistency of the interface, Macs have the wonderful feature of being effectively virus and spyware free -- at least as long as you exclude things like Microsoft Word macro viruses. Leave it to Microsoft to pioneer cross-platform virus vulnerability...

Indeed, it is easy to get a mulit-button mouse. I picked up a optical 3 button-mouse the same day I got Tiger for $30. Other than the dumb light they put on it, I like it. I have an older G4, upgraded with a DVD drive, so I still have the old button on the DVD drive, so its a little easier to open and close. I also had this strange dream last night that I was playing CM1 games in OSX... so hey I must be crazy. I just reboot to OS9, it takes 20 seconds of my day. :D

Originally posted by Pzman:

I just reboot to OS9, it takes 20 seconds of my day. :D

And terminates all your running applications, disables scheduled jobs including calendar reminders and kicks out all remotely logged in users.

Also, surely you can tell me where to get OS9 for a 1GHz TiBook (not AlBook, first generation 1GHz Powerbook)?

Originally posted by Redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pzman:

I just reboot to OS9, it takes 20 seconds of my day. :D

And terminates all your running applications, disables scheduled jobs including calendar reminders and kicks out all remotely logged in users.

Also, surely you can tell me where to get OS9 for a 1GHz TiBook (not AlBook, first generation 1GHz Powerbook)? </font>

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

If you are going to criticize Mac at least present a reason that isnt easily remedied

(like two button mice, which I use)

or things that are common to all computers

and if you really need an OS9 CD send me an E-mail

Oh, I am not saying that MacOS sucks.

What I am saying is

1) it was very unfortunate that BFC decided to use the vendor's toy APIs (Rave and early Direct3d) instead of OpenGL. For a game that was released in 2000, after John Carmak demostrated in 1996 that OpenGL was the superior API and entirely marketable. We can see the result in dropped support by Apple, partially dropped support by ATI and the difficulties people had to make it run on Linux (now runs, but with speed hits).

2) the Apple users should stop complaining about dropped Rave support and just do it themself if they are that gung-ho about it. The Linux people have a Direct3D layer to OpenGL. A Rave layer to OpenGL is probably much easier than sorting out the Microsoft mess.

Thanks for the OS 9 offer, but my snippy remarks goes a little deeper smile.gif . My TiBook 1 GHz is not officially supported by any distributed OS 9. There is some version that happened to ship with some of these Powerbooks but the exact status and whereabouts are unknown. Just a copy of OS 9 doesn't get me any further.

Well you are right about the Virus's and worms

for MS-but everybody attacks MS because Gates

wants to rule the PC world-also who knows why

they are Virus&Worm plauged-it's like the only guess is making a car too good-you won't buy

another one for years-well could be for

PC's-well I would mind buying the MAC OS

if everybody support it-I'm a PC gammer.

I also don't want virus's/worms/spyware

on my PC-well if Jobs would talk to the gamming injustry before hand then we would be talking these issues-they both stold from each other

and ZEROX(they actually made the 1st OS and

1st mouse interface)but Jobs stole from them

them Gates stole from Jobs(Pirates of Silicon

Valley-DVD&book)real interseting book on how

personal PC market got invented-well sorry

from jumping from one issue to another-MACS

can do great graphical stuff-I don't understand why they don't the CPU's be sold seperately

and build from ground up and use whatever we want?

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

I don't understand why they don't the CPU's be sold seperately

and build from ground up and use whatever we want?

They did and I had one, a UMAX 604e (worked fine except for CM so I bought a G4 :)

Battle of the Clones article

Basically the clone market would have conflicted with the subsequent release of imacs, emacs & mini-macs etc.

Radiation proofed PowerPC chips are also used on spacecraft such as the Mars Pathfinder lander and rovers.

I was a keen fan of original CM when it came out, and played it regularly on my old Powerbook running System 9 -- in fact, original CM was the first game I ever bought at the time of release and also that I ever played for more than a couple of weeks (I'm not a big gamer).

Well, the old machine has long since died and I haven't been able to justify a seperate machine running 9 solely to play CM, so CM fell by the wayside years ago. Still, I have NEVER forgotten how cool original CM was, nor the promise that there would someday be a CMX2 that ran on OS X. I knew it would take a while to see this happen; graphics engines are tricky and, obiviously enough, the Mac is not a big market. But a couple of time a year, I search around to see how CMX2 is shaping up, and it looks like we are actually getting close if the word is now end of 2005.

What I'd like to ask is this: Is there a sort of email news update from Battlefront for product news announcements? There's not much point in my hanging around the forums all the time, since I don't currently have a game to play, but I would *DEFINITELY* like to know the *MOMENT* that there's an OS-X demo of CMX2 and the *INSTANT* that it goes on sale. I watched the release of original CM like a hawk smile.gif and I would like to be there to pounce on CMX2, since I have every confidence it will rule smile.gif I would love to get an email newsletter every month or so updating me on CMX2 progress.

Cheers,

Carl

http://www.battlefront.com/subscribe/email_notify.html

Originally posted by carlsefni:

I was a keen fan of original CM when it came out, and played it regularly on my old Powerbook running System 9 -- in fact, original CM was the first game I ever bought at the time of release and also that I ever played for more than a couple of weeks (I'm not a big gamer).

Well, the old machine has long since died and I haven't been able to justify a seperate machine running 9 solely to play CM, so CM fell by the wayside years ago. Still, I have NEVER forgotten how cool original CM was, nor the promise that there would someday be a CMX2 that ran on OS X. I knew it would take a while to see this happen; graphics engines are tricky and, obiviously enough, the Mac is not a big market. But a couple of time a year, I search around to see how CMX2 is shaping up, and it looks like we are actually getting close if the word is now end of 2005.

What I'd like to ask is this: Is there a sort of email news update from Battlefront for product news announcements? There's not much point in my hanging around the forums all the time, since I don't currently have a game to play, but I would *DEFINITELY* like to know the *MOMENT* that there's an OS-X demo of CMX2 and the *INSTANT* that it goes on sale. I watched the release of original CM like a hawk smile.gif and I would like to be there to pounce on CMX2, since I have every confidence it will rule smile.gif I would love to get an email newsletter every month or so updating me on CMX2 progress.

Cheers,

Carl

I found it as a link from one of BFC's emails - Nice website by the way and I've added your excellently crafted 'Edlund' font into my mac's bulging font folder

Originally posted by carlsefni:

Perfect -- thanks for the link! I had scrougned around on the site and somehow failed to find that page.

Cheers,

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Flattery is always welcomed ;) Ah, I wish I had the time and money to revisit the Edlund font(s) and do 'em up nicely, with Unicode compliance and fixed-up hinting; they still print all right, though smile.gif

Now I'll get back on topic and go away to wait for any word about whether Apple's proposed move to Intel will affect CMX2 development for OS X. I'm worried about whether lack of Altivec support (if I understand this issue aright) is going to cause trouble. Dammit, Apple keep changing their graphics stuff just in time to screw with CM for Mac! tongue.gif

Cheers,

Carl

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Also, surely you can tell me where to get OS9 for a 1GHz TiBook (not AlBook, first generation 1GHz Powerbook)?

Have you tried the two CD’s that came with the machine? Both my PB 500Mhz and the newer 1Ghz came with CD’s / DVD’s to re-install OS 9 if I needed it.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

Have you tried the two CD’s that came with the machine? Both my PB 500Mhz and the newer 1Ghz came with CD’s / DVD’s to re-install OS 9 if I needed it. </font>

Hmm,

Shouldn’t be the case. The biggest issue would be if when the drive was initialised / formatted the little “boot from OS9” checkbox was clicked.

If it was you should be able to install OS 9 (9.2.2) and select it as a startup disk.

If not its a case of backup, format (clicking the box) and restore.

My PowerBook (see specs below) regularly boots into OS 9 - not Classic to play CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, CMETO and TacOps 4 and 5. The last two aren’t really required (as I think you know based on your web page) as TacOps is able to be run as Classic App.

Sorry but you are a little far away for me to pop around and have a look.

When this PB/OS issue originally came up I did some research

I read in a support doc that when this particular PB was released

ONLY the install disks that came with it would work

BUT SUBSEQUENT OS releases should install/work