Missing and incorrect information on Finland

First of all, Finland purchased alot of Panzerfausts/Schrecks from Germany in 1944 when Russia was at their border again. Russian suffered alot of casualties because of this, but eventually won again. This is impossible with the current situation. As much as I love Lahti AT rifles, they were not used in 1944.

I will get the exact figures if needed.

Secondly, after Finland was defeated they were obliged to fight against the Germans as part of a peace gesture to Russia. This is called the Lapland War. Finland should be able to fight against Germany after the summer of 1944.

[ October 12, 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Wehr ]

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russian suffered alot of casualties because of this, but eventually won again

Err ? Their last breakthrough attempt was defeated in Tali-Ihantala. In Ilomantsi region IIRC 2 attacking divisions were encircled. Thats why Russians accepted the negoatiated peace since they couldn't occupy Finland with this go and their divisions were needed for the drive to Berlin.

The sodding Finns were defeated?!

Why isn't that properly modeled on the Forum, then?!

Can't turn around anywhere without falling over one of them talking about how their relatives did for the Russians, or the Germans, or any Forum member who gave them a hard time...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Can't turn around anywhere without falling over one of them talking about how their relatives did for the Russians, or the Germans, or any Forum member who gave them a hard time...

Well, if you consider the circumstances - a small nation beat the Soviets (yes, the ones that ended up in Berlin ) , thus securing our independence ( and survival ), then wonder no more about why the concept of überFinns is so dear to us...

Also StuG-III's had the machine gun in roof. Now it has nothing for close defence. Actually the original German MG-34 machine gun was replaced with Soviet 7.62mm DT machine gun, which was in Finnish opinion more reliable.

Also armor skirts were removed (that is correctly modeled), but logs were added in side upper superstructure in every StuG. I remember that it was intended to be modeled, but maybe CD-got too small to implement all in current relese? (Like IS-3, StuG-IV, BT-42, whose modeling is missing)

Also Finns bought ~30 StuG-III late (with saukopfmantle). They arrived in time, but they never see the action against russians. (Neither did Pz-IV)

But machine gun is nro 1 needed in StuG's. Then hopefully logs someday.

Originally posted by Prinz Eugen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Well, if you consider the circumstances - a small nation beat the Soviets (yes, the ones that ended up in Berlin ) , thus securing our independence ( and survival ), then wonder no more about why the concept of überFinns is so dear to us...</font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

How bizarre it is that the Finns can enjoy a good joke, heft a glass, sing a song, brood on their wrongs, kill people at the drop of a hat, and spend every waking moment wondering what they could do to destroy their enemies?

You buggers are just like the Irish.

Yeah, we are. Except those buggers really can't drink like real men ;)

Originally posted by arzi:

Also StuG-III's had the machine gun in roof. Now it has nothing for close defence.

And the availability is all wrong too. ;)

The BFC made a boo-boo and picked the totally wrong model (early instead of late early) for the Finns.

BTW: how about those 50mm mortars ?

I have a source (Jatkosodan taistelut) which states there were a grand total of 0 50mm mortars in the Finnish infantry division OOB in 1941.

Originally posted by Osmo:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Finnish Pz-IV tanks were Pz-IVJ, not the PzIVH as the game claims?

I'm under the impression they were J's.

A bit annoying these little mistakes, aren't they ? smile.gif

Arzi, atleast 15 Stug IIIg late with saukopf saw action in finnish armed forces.

Thick concrete reinforcements at front hull and saukopf mantlet, DT machinegun, Storage box and Spare roadwheel racks.

sturmibg5.jpg

finstg3bg1.jpg

Here good reference to get late finnish Sturm with saukopf right:

http://204.50.25.179/features00/sturmi2.html

And here some pics of early finnish stug:

http://www.geocities.com/~fi1877/ps531008.html

[ October 14, 2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: illo ]

Originally posted by Soddball:

I don't think that any of these people are actual forum members. I think Tero has created 45 extra usernames and passwords and argues with himself to give the impression that the Finnish contingent here is vibrant and full of wise things to tell people.

Hehe... smile.gif

You are one PARANOID individual :eek: :eek: :eek:

Scary stuff...

The Finns will get Panzerfausts in the v1.01 patch. It was a bug. They actually DO get "assigned" them currently after June 44 but a recently discovered bug kept them from ever showing up.

Finns already have 'Schreck teams listed in the editor.

Madmatt

[ October 14, 2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Here is very nice refenrence article on finnish Stug IIIg.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/sturmireferencebg_1.html

First batch Stug IIIg, 30 delievered (mid 1943)

finstg3bg5.jpg

Second batch Stug IIIg, 29 delievered (mid 1944)

fststug.jpg

The first fifteen (of second batch) were shipped from Danzig around the beginning of July 1944 and due to their late arrival, these Sturmis were rushed into action with few, if any, modifications.

[ October 14, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: illo ]

There are also few, but really really small and annoying (at least to me) mistakes in the Finnish Infantry.

For example, mostly Finnish Infantry is still using Lahti-Saloranta LMGs in the 1943-44. There are also DP27 LMGs in use, but it's too few!

During the Contutiation war, the Finnish made Lahti-Saloranta were almost completely withdrawn from front-line duties, and replaced by captured Russian DP27 LMGs because it's much more reliable and packs more firepower (DP27 47 rounds clip against L-S26 20 rounds...) We even manufactuerd here in Finland spare parts and extra magazines to russian DPs. About the figures, something like the 90% of the front-line units LMGs were russian DP26s.

As the Veterans say, the biggest supplier of Finnish army was the red army... :D

Originally posted by illo:

Im quite sure finnish PzKpfw IVjs were never used in combat.

True. AFAIK they were used against the Germans in the North.

But having them around is a nice bonus, given the fact the Soviets might be fielding captured Panthers and who knows what ahistorical gamey stuff againts the überFinnish army... smile.gif