MacOS X 10.1 & CM

karsten

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>It sounds like BTS fell prey to latest versionitis. Not always the best thing to be cutting edge.<hr></blockquote>

A bit of an ironic statement for those who are using OS X at the moment.

They probably went with the latest rev of RAVE since it probably supported all the 3D features that they wanted to include for CM (or made it easier to support/code them). Earlier versions may not have supported everything that they wanted to do. I'm not sure how long RAVE 1.6 had been out when Charles started programming the 3D routines for the Mac. Unfortunately 'back-coding' to an earlier version of the RAVE API isn't an easy matter since there may be many things inside CM that are dependent on the latest calls. The 3D code would have to be ripped apart and certain routines would have to be recoded to approximate what newer calls are doing (if it would even be possible). I'm not sure what effects would disappear or what the quality of rendering would be if CMBO had to run at a RAVE 1.5 level or whatever would be fully compatible with the 'Classic RAVE' shim.

Apparently Apple has decided (so far) that trying to support all the features in RAVE 1.6 is just too complex to duplicate with OpenGL (at least in using a shim to transpose the calls into OpenGL equivalents). This admittedly isn't an easy task since the RAVE API may not take to being transposed very well. Transposing the API with a shim should definitely lower video performance since it is another layer of abstraction and software interference that can only slow down the code (by how much I'm not sure).

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

I would agree about the OS X 10.0.X statement for those that have upgraded every mac they have to it, including production Macs.

I tried 10.0.X on some Macs, but did not move my iBook to it until 10.1. My wife's Mac that she uses for graphics production will probably stay on 9.X for some time yet as well as my Macs acting as servers as different types.

I've always followed the golden rule: Never install a .0 revision of anything!

Either way - wasn't RAVE 1.5 the version available when CMBO was developed?

I'm not sure of the differences between the versions - anyone here know what the ones that would affect CMBO & CMBB would be?