ASL Interface Mod for CMBB nearing completion

The interface mod some people have shown an interest in has been done for some time, with the exception of the vehicle portrait shots. Just doublechecking the rest of it now that the patch has made some alterations, but I have gotten a good start on the unit portraits. I decided trying to find realistic overhead views (ala the SL and ASL unit counters) would be impossible in some cases, so I am instead opting on silhouettes.

Unlike the stock graphics, I am attempting to scale these vehicles to each other. The coloured bars in the upper right corner are scale bars, 3 pixels=1 foot (imperial measurement).

Just wondering what other info to include on this graphic that is

a) not included in the CM interface already

B) would be useful for the player and prevent him from having to click on the unit info

c) tie in with the ASL theme

I was thinking perhaps indicating open topped vehicles, since these don't seem to be noted without opening the info box. Perhaps a white bar across the silhouette?

Armour ratings are already given in the CMBB interface by the coloured bars, so I dispensed with the idea of fake MP numbers and armour ratings/unarmoured stars.

The turreted/non-turreted circle/square (also indicating turret speed) might be an idea if anyone can think of a non-intrusive way to introduce that? It worked good on the overhead views, but probably wouldn't fly with the side silhouettes.

Anyone else?

00delete.gif

[ December 27, 2002, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I was thinking perhaps indicating open topped vehicles, since these don't seem to be noted without opening the info box. Perhaps a white bar across the silhouette?

i have seen "button closed" in cmbb,its over the

pic which tells you where your unit stands.

btw your vehicle pics look nice.

Originally posted by Horus:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I was thinking perhaps indicating open topped vehicles, since these don't seem to be noted without opening the info box. Perhaps a white bar across the silhouette?

i have seen "button closed" in cmbb,its over the

pic which tells you where your unit stands.

btw your vehicle pics look nice.</font>

Michael, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the full ASL conversion mod. I've been enjoying the replacement unit pic's for a while now.

In my opinion though, I wouldn't worry about replacing the vehicle pic's. To me they look fine in the game as they are, even if not in the "ASL" theme. Plus, it must be a PITA to try to silhouette each of those. If the top-down view is available and covers most/all the vehicles, then great, I'd love to see that, but if not, I'd say don't mess with the ones that are there.

Keep us updated though on how it's coming, I can't wait to get the finished thing.

Originally posted by GJK:

Michael, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the full ASL conversion mod. I've been enjoying the replacement unit pic's for a while now.

In my opinion though, I wouldn't worry about replacing the vehicle pic's. To me they look fine in the game as they are, even if not in the "ASL" theme. Plus, it must be a PITA to try to silhouette each of those. If the top-down view is available and covers most/all the vehicles, then great, I'd love to see that, but if not, I'd say don't mess with the ones that are there.

Keep us updated though on how it's coming, I can't wait to get the finished thing.

Actually, it's giving me a chance to update my vehicle portrait bmp number list on my site; the patch eliminated the shared bmps for a number of vehicles, so this is letting me sort out the new models, etc.

That's a great idea, Michael. Of course, I can't help you with the army stuff, that's not my bag. But using the vehicle portraits to convey more info than one can get from the stock interface is really adding to the ease of use. If it eliminates a keystroke, it's good.

And your silhouettes look great.

Thanks Deanco. I eliminated the scale bars and instead put a figure of a 6 foot soldier in equipment for scale. Almost all the vehicle silhouettes are in scale with each other at a scale of 3 pixels = 1 foot, though for the Soviet assault guns some of them are in at 2 pixels = 1 foot.

Still haven't decided if there is any other useful info that can be added to the portraits. There are about 250, and I've got about 200 done. The problem is figuring out which of the new ones that came with the patch go with which vehicles, but once I've gotten the 1.0 portraits done it should be a simple matter (I hope) of process and elimination.

I had orginally toyed with putting main armament calibres on the portrait, but some portraits are shared out, and the interface already lists the main weaponry in any event.

I was thinking perhaps unarmoured vehicles could be indicated with a star.

I thought perhaps a size indication could be given - the silhouettes already do that, but perhaps a red/black/white type of symbol as used on the ASL vehicle counters - the unit info screen already lists a number for the vehicles relative size, but maybe this would be another way of making the interface useful at a glance?

Still toying with the idea of indicating open topped vehicles.

Perhaps Towing and passenger capacity is something else I can add?

Still haven't decided if there is any other useful info that can be added to the portraits. There are about 250, and I've got about 200 done.
Hi Michael,

Ack, that's a helluva lot of work so far. I hate to disappoint, but I'd also have to chime in and say that I prefer the stock vehicle silhouettes to the black and white versions pictured above. They just look a little more realistic.

I'm not sure why you weren't able to go with your overhead view that you originally mentioned though? I should think that you could just scan the original ASL counters and use that image in the place of the vehicle silhouettes instead? I would definitely rather see this than the stock sils I think... Copyright restrictions possibly? Didn't stop you before though. :D

Passenger capacity might be useful, but I'm not sure what else might really save me time. I don't find myself often looking at the in-depth stats about each vehicle, I guess since I have a pretty good idea of most of the common one's capabilities anyway.

If you should decide to give scanning the counters a try, I'll certainly be willing to volunteer some labor for you as I did in your CMBO conversion, just let me know.

At any rate, great work and I'm looking forward to it whatever you decide!

ianc

Originally posted by ianc:

I'm not sure why you weren't able to go with your overhead view that you originally mentioned though? I should think that you could just scan the original ASL counters and use that image in the place of the vehicle silhouettes instead?

I don't recall ASL having counters for the Turan or any of the Hungarian vehicles, actually. As for scanning the counters - the orientation on the counters has the vehicles at 45 degrees - the interface would require the vehicles at 90 degrees. Not seemingly a big deal, but whip out your scanner and counters, and tell me how easy it is to convert your scans into a box 27 pixels by 77 pixels....(!) :D

If you should decide to give scanning the counters a try, I'll certainly be willing to volunteer some labor for you as I did in your CMBO conversion, just let me know.
There is a list on my GD site of which unit portraits go with which vehicle. I am in the process of updating it to reflect the 1.01 changes. If you want to provide 250 unit portraits made from the ASL counters, I think many people would be interested in seeing this, and I would happily include it as an option. I'd be interested to see the results myself, actually!

[ December 29, 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]