Problems with 8800 GXT and Vista Ultimate 64

and of course, not even close to the truth. Multiple times it has been said, it is NOT an easy fix. As told by countless people, it is something with the cards and the nvidia driver. Has it been mentioned to Nvidia? Yep, but a game the size of CMX1 is so small on their radar, they don't care.

So last time I am going to say this. It is a 7 year old game, made long before directx10 and Vista. Their is NO small patch that could be done, the engine would have to be majorly over-hauled...which CMX2 is a new engine.

We have 1 programmer, who spends his time with the Marines module and the new WWII game. Doing anything to CMX1, months of work means we don't have any income.

This has been said again and again. It isn't even every nvidia card, I have it working with Vista Ultimate 64bit altho a little slow.

You assumed we didn't notify Nvidia, we did, people here have started a petition. Read some of the other threads.

Rune

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, folks, it will work if you install Linux on your 8800 computer and use CMx1 under Cedega.

Linux is OpenGl only and Cedega has a DirectX to OpenGL translator. Since I can tell you that the Cedega DirectX implementation does CMx1 fine (not perfect, but fine) and NVidia didn't screw up OpenGL in their 8800 Vista drivers it will just work.

I have to laugh at all those people who did Vista, to first have less hardware drivers than Linux and now even lose software that runs in Linux. That's all those people who would never use Linux because "it's not compatible".

I am seriously considering putting Win 9X or XP on dual boot on my machine, just for the eyes of CM1x. Does anyone had any return about how the GF8X00 series works under older windows and DX9 please?

Redwolf, what do you mean by "not perfect" under Cedega? Can I have some more details about the performance please?

Thanks in advance.

AJ

Originally posted by Alain-James:

Redwolf, what do you mean by "not perfect" under Cedega? Can I have some more details about the performance please?

It's slower, but to be honest - who cares? Even my old 7800GTX is about 10 times as fast as CMx1 needs, now it's only 5 times, eh smile.gif

I didn't play with it too much but I think some AA/AF control might not make it through these layers so there is slight visual degradation, a slightly grainy look. I haven't played much CMx1 since I retired my Windoze box but if there's real interest I can make a comparison with pictures.

Maybe these nice battlefront people could make a small official mod(or if there is such already...?) that changes the in-game texts on the low edge of the screen, because it really is that amount of text there that slows vista(?) and nvidia(?).

So own infantry has a lot of info texts(overall fitness, current fitness level, ammo etc) and when selected, the fps is really poor. Totally annoying to give precise orders to infantry.

Selecting guns or vehicles in much smoother, and they do have much less texts.

Enemy troops have almost no texts, and selecting them is pretty normal smoothness level. Cant really play with enemies selected...

And 'buying' troops also is laggy. I mean the more troops you have selected for the battle, the lower the fps gets as the amount of text increases.

So, do something to the texts? Make the font smaller? Or use abbreviations...? Veteran players really dont need to have all texts fully visible. I mean to always see if troops are fit, weakened or unfit. F, W and U would suffice for example.

Should not be a big thing to change if one who has the skills to do that, has any heart for that job.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Alain-James:

It's slower, but to be honest - who cares? Even my old 7800GTX is about 10 times as fast as CMx1 needs, now it's only 5 times, eh smile.gif

I didn't play with it too much but I think some AA/AF control might not make it through these layers so there is slight visual degradation, a slightly grainy look. I haven't played much CMx1 since I retired my Windoze box but if there's real interest I can make a comparison with pictures. </font>

• 2 weeks later...

Alain-James

I have 2 x 8800 Ultra SLI, QX6800 quad core chip. I've set my machine to dual boot with Win XP Pro and Vista 32 Ultimate. CMBB and CMAK work fine under XP but I get the cascading issue in Vista (but I haven't tried the AA fix yet).

Hi

Have you tried altering the font of the text to see if that makes any difference in the frame rate. It is relatively simple to do. There are two .bmp files in the bmp folder which contain the font set. These can be altered in the usual way. Cannot remember their numbers but they were towards the start of the folder.

cheers