Problems with 8800 GXT and Vista Ultimate 64

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update. I to have a new laptop with the 8800 card and Vista Home 64. With CMAK (I don't have CMBB or CMBO installed) my cascading problem was fixed with the antialiasing override that Commander Z brought to the discussion on page 2 of this thread...good find, works great now. Thanks

BF

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm having the problem of the "cascading landscape" running Vista 32bit with a Geforce 8500GT. AMD dual core Athlon 3800+ CPU. My boards chipset is also Nvidia. I have not tried loading CMAK but have loaded CMBO and CMBB. I really liked the games but I guess I can kiss them good bye. I still see these games for sale out on the web and in stores every now and then. So I have started posting the problems these games have when trying to run them using a Nvidia based graphics card and Windows Vista on various forums. It appears that there will be no solution to the problem so maybe by letting the people out there know about Battlefronts CMBO and CMBB games. They will take a second look at battlefront before spending thier money.

I agree.

I apply 'Sod's 1st Law of Computing'.

"Never buy anything to do with computers that someone else has got up and running and working successfully."

So my new computer arrives next week with XP not Vista and a 7000 series not an 8000 series card.

Vista is not reliable, so I will wait until it is and the 8000 series cards are a completely new archicture for NVIDIA and so are going to cause problems for ages. When they have sorted out these pre-production problems, then they can have my money.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i just got CMBO and it i like it very much.

i would really like to play the BB and AK versions as well.

unfortunately, my system has vista 32 and a nvidia 8800...so the demo(bb/ak) is unplayable for me.

so i wonder has someone achieved playability by installing xp on a separate drive ?

i have read it works for some ppl.

as i would have to buy a new xp i would like what is your system...if it works for you

any other news on this topic are welcome as well...i want the eastern front ;)

One of my recient Maximum PC magazines had a good article on how to improve your Vista operating system. The real kicker was the last page when they tell you that the best solution to "fix" Vista is to either (1) replace it with XP or (2) create a dual Vista/XP operating systems on the same PC.

From the sounds of it, it did not sound very hard to do. I suggest "googling" it and you should find some sites that will tell you how to dual boot it step by step.

OK, after puttering around with this for a bit with no solution in sight, I decided to find out about the possibility of installing an XP partition alongside my Vista install and dual booting. Here's a link to the best tutorial I found:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Apparently it involves booting into the PBE (pre-boot environment) on the Vista install disk and using a tool on the disk called DISKPART to resize the Vista partition. Then you install XP to the newly freed space, then you repair the Vista bootloader, which will have been overwritten by the XP installation.

I haven't tried this yet, but the instructions seem logically consistent-- it doesn't look like the process is for neophytes though. I will report on my results when I get enough spare time to run the experiment.

i have also read a post in a german forum where someone used the old directx (9c) besides the dx10?

i would like to try that first, as the double installation seems a bit scary to me (i have this comp and vista for a month now...)

has someone tried this?

anyway if you install it, how would you make cmbb use the older directx instead of directx10?

• 3 weeks later...

Then replace it, because if you look at the first page, over a year ago I answered.

1. The game is over 7 years old, coding on it has stopped.

2. The operating system and hardware are under a year old.

3. Ig you look here http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005440 you will see there ARE people having ZERO problems, including me, and I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit. On this page alone bfawlty tells you he has it working.

4. Since there are people NOT having problems with drivers or framerates, then it has to be a certain combination. They can't even begin to troubleshoot certain combinations.

Rune

Bumping this because i'm in the same boat, and this is the only thread i've found that has any real advice.

Probably wouldn't be as upset if i hadn't gotten the better comp for CMSF, and it just isn't any fun so far. It very frustrating, telling a squad to load up in their vehicle and continually having 1 or 2 standing around outside.

I want to reiterate Swamp's question.

Has anyone ever got BB or AK to work on Vista with an ATI card? (or more specifically a 38xx card)?

I have been looking at upgrading and it seems that people have got both of these games to work under Vista (Rune 24 March post) but all talk has been about NVidia. Has there been any success with ATI and their newer cards?

I would hate to change vendors (as I have had great luck with ATI) but if it means that I can play CMBB or CMAK for another 5 years I am more than willing to change.

---- A little off topic but would there ever be a chance that BF would release the code or transfer ownership to another group (like a cooperative or even make it open source) that would be willing to upgrade it for Vista and the future? I am not sure how much money that BF continually makes from CMx1 but if it is a dead application without any more support this could be an idea.

I know that I would be more than willing to pay $10 to continue playing this for the forseeable future.------

But then if ATI or NVidia and Vista are viable to play CMx1 then this is a moot point.

Originally posted by Canada Guy:

I want to reiterate Swamp's question.

Has anyone ever got BB or AK to work on Vista with an ATI card? (or more specifically a 38xx card)? ...

Brand new system build. Vista Ultimate 64. ATI HD3870. CMBB actually crashed the system so hard, I had to hit the power button for 5 seconds to force a hard reboot and the machine took nearly 30 minutes to reboot and recover. Depressing. :(

I've enjoyed these games (BO, BB, AK) for so long, I'd happily pay full price for an updated version that runs under Vista. There just aren't any other good PBEM games of this genre ... at least not that I nor my friends have been able to find. :(

• 2 weeks later...

But I guess the mindset of the fans nowadays is to not change computer hardware to keep playing CM games. And Battlefront is happy with that and stopped updating the game. Some people value improving their hardware to play other games aside from CM, you know.

And I wonder how will they attract new users (who usually have new hardware) even with Combat Mission Campaigns? Or is CMC just there to milk the money out of CM fans who skipped Shock Force? It's a pity because CMC has some potential of adding more sales of CMx1 games.

So please fix this Battlefront. :(

Originally posted by rune:

Then replace it, because if you look at the first page, over a year ago I answered.

1. The game is over 7 years old, coding on it has stopped.

2. The operating system and hardware are under a year old.

3. Ig you look here http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005440 you will see there ARE people having ZERO problems, including me, and I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit. On this page alone bfawlty tells you he has it working.

4. Since there are people NOT having problems with drivers or framerates, then it has to be a certain combination. They can't even begin to troubleshoot certain combinations.

Rune

Come on, Battlefront could AT LEAST pretend to show some interest... We're still stuck (just got myself CMBB) and they didn't EVEN care to post a single tip or comment...

Ive got Vista Pro 32, a 8300 GS, and this just SUCKS. I mean, my computer in China was running CMAK better than that, and we don't even deserve some attention from Battlefront?

Man that's not cool. No wonder they said "the CMBB special edition support is a little different". No kidding...

Post what comment? That it was designed and made when Windows 98 and Directx5 were the standard? If Microsoft changed things in Directx, and Nvidia and ATI changed things int heir drivers, what are we supposed to do? As has been said multiple times here, the program is over 7 years old, and Charles is coding CMSF Marines and CMWWII [no name yet], but of which work with Vista.

Jomni, yes you are right we mention CMC may even be released freeware, we defintely must be milking it.

Rune

Well it could be made CLEAR that there is a quite proven incompatibility with DX10 cards and Vista for a start. It's not like the product isn't being sold anymore...

If you can't support technically a game anymore, are you supposed to go on selling it without telling the customers what may go wrong?

Im a battlefront consumer who owns two products, I love CM, and when I buy a product, I expect at least some technical feedback, or warning...

I mean at least we absolutely need to know what is the problem right now: the Card, and/or the OS/DX10?

I suppose it's card related right? But I need a confirmation...

[ April 27, 2008, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Alain-James ]

Well the problem is that you loosing customers while reacting as you do. Thousands of people still playing cmx1. If you have no solution for it.

Why don't you reported to n-vidia about the problem instad of your customers?

this is a very "poor" solution.

it's nice to go on cmx2 but why do we have so few options. quick battles are boring etc.

I think it is not that hard for battlefront to fix a few thinks and release a little small patch.

It is not the matter of how old the game is, it is a matter of how may people still play it. i boght this game twice a friend of mine three times. Your beaviour in this case is just unaceptable and you will loosing your fans. no matter if it's not you how caused it.

the ebst thing would be a small patch, and the lowest option you could have done where to write to nvidia.

greetings

pionier