Non agressive AI.

Jaws

I've had the AI be quite aggressive compared to CMBO's AI.

Is the distance great in your scenario? How about terrain? There's nothing wrong with a well executed advance. Beats the hell out of hauling @$$ down the road to only get whacked by a hidden ATG around the corner.

One common thing is that the CMBB AI hates wide open spaces. If there is a 350m wide field across the map, the AI will not cross it. Add in a few scattered trees and brush and to help it along.

The other thing that draws the AI like a moth to the flame is flags. Use a few little ones leading to some big ones like a trail of breadcrumbs.

WWB

The AI is quite an interesting Turing Beast.

In one scenario, it refused to budge from it's overwhelming numerical superiority to capture the Victory Location ( I spoke to Rune,the designer, who said that the AI can't cope in certain complex conditions). Another similar scenario is Winter Wonderland, without giving anything away, doan play as Russians, as the AI can't cope.

However, on the other hand. I played a homemade scenario yesterday where I was trying out reverse slop tactic as Germans. After the killing the first 2 approaching Russian Tanks, the game sort of stalemate for about 5 turns, I was thinking to myself, what a useless AI, but in the next turn, the Russians did a 4-5 Tank rush towards the slope together with 2 human waves at the same time. I was impressed. Not bad for an AI that never learns.

I don't design scenarios. I've been involved in playtesting quite a few though. There is really an "art" to it. I've seen a slight change in the placement of a flag, or the addition of another minor flag, which would appear meaningless to the overall goal of the mission for the player, make a huge difference in what the a/i will do. These vet designers here have really developed a super specialized set of skills.

You definitly want to pay attention to the terrain and ground conditions. The AI will tend to tire his troups out if either are too bad. One thing I have also found is that if you have the initial placement fairly spread out then the AI will tend to try and gather everyone together before advancing unless he makes contact first.

Originally posted by Jaws:

Ok thanks for the tips and info. I’ve edited my current scenario with extra trees and a few extra troops in the front. It seems to work now. 1st turn contact with infantry turn 3 aggressive AI tank manoeuvre

smile.gif

If you make careful use of the reinforcements you can get the AI to perform somewhat competent "flanking" maneuvers or at least keep the player on their toes a bit.