'Advance' for Support Weapons - Patch?

I may be a pedant, but that post makes me feel a bit ill.

Mobility may have been a consideration when aquiring the LSW, which is a Heavy Barreled Assault Rifle and not an LMG like the Bren. No doubt the old salts of the Brtish army will be along to decry it though. It seems to have carried on with the new Minimi, being as the British army has gone for the 'Para' version with collapsable stock and short barrel.

smile.gif it is a LMG .... Please Flamingknifes I read lots your posts you seem educated enough smile.gif Again the LSW wont go into the assault, its used as a firesupport weapon, hence the longer barrell, trust me I just left the army, I trained with the dam thing. You can also snipe with it.

Gimme the GPMG anyday smile.gif

I guess it depends on whether one terms a weapon by its characteristics or its usage. The LSW is an HBAR, but it is/was (not sure with the introduction of the Minimi) used as an LMG, since I don't think that the British use the designation SAW.

Since the LSW is no larger than a conventional rifle, I would assume that one can move about with it a little easier than one might with a Bren.

Actually, the Bren in the final assualt would be considered unusual, since the infantry drill was to separate into gun group (Bren, assistant gunner and LCpl) and a rifle group. The Bren would provide covering fire while the rifle group made the assault. With the current setup - two equally equipped fireteams - surely the LSW must go in if either team makes the final assault.

The AIF official history accounts were where relevant based on unit war diaries, some of which incidentially can now be perused on line at the AWM site. So they were contemporarily recorded from first hand accounts by those actually involved and reporting for official purposes.

To suggest that somehow such reports from various sources and verified by those officially responsible for their accuracy are untrue or distorted does not warrant a response.

The history by its nature mentions things of interest, it is hardly going to go into in much detail concerning the 99% or whatever of which is mundane and routine. Anyone familiar with histories knows that already.

Finally, I never expected to persuade those who already think that they know it all that some things were not as they believe. But no doubt some have found something of interest. Personally I'd like to read up on the NZ experience, seeing that they and 9 AIF were the best infantry divisions in NA.