New Nafziger book for sale -

Moon

In case you missed it in the noise of the CMAK 1.01 patch announcement, we have now also have a great new book available in the Nafziger collection in the Battlefront Bookshelf!

"The German Tank Platoon in World War II - Its Training and Employment in Battle" is...

...a reproduction of the 1941 US Army translation of the 1940 German tactical training manual Panzerkampfwagenbuch by Captain Kurt Kauffman, German Army, and other German documents. It is heavily illustrated with pictures and diagrams of the right and wrong way to operate. It was designed as the basic training manual for the German Panzer crew. A highly informative work for either the historian or the gamer. Comments by Golf War veteran tankers say that the lessons it teaches are still taught today.
Some juicy page samples right here!

Martin

Hi Martin,

I hadn't noticed the BFC booklist until your post so many thanks for that, there are a few that I own and many I would like to own. It should cover my holiday reading for the next few years or so smile.gif

However, it's made me want to ask about whether BFC are comfortable recommending an author such as David Irving, and to a lesser extent Paul Carrell. I guess that someone at BFC has read the books in question, that they are clear from ideological sub-texts, and that they are primarily military history works and very valuable for that?

I personally have an informed choice. I know that whatever their literary worth, by purchasing one of their works I am contributing in a very small round-about way to the estate of a holocaust denier or an ex-nazi propagandist. However I guess that quite a few wouldn't know, and may think twice if they did know.

Would it be worthwhile to put a sort of caveat emptor note by their works for anyone who might be uncomfortable purely on moral grounds?

Don't confuse the books that we are selling (Nafziger and some finnish stuff) with those that we merely list in the "bibliography". The latter is a collection of books we found useful during our research while making the games, and by definition would not be complete if it would deliberately exclude even the controversial authors.

We assume that our audience is mature and intelligent enough to be able to read and think. Even read a book with ideological sub-texts without becoming brainwashed. To be honest, I wouldn't dare to pre-censor any book by applying my personal moral standards and putting a warning up in a bibliography listing. This would be enforcing my own ideologies, and Battlefront.com is just a commercial wargame publisher, not a commercial ideology seller. While we realize our responsibilities dealing with WW2 related matters, we are very careful to remain free from any ideologies - in any direction.

If you really feel that you need to continue this discussion, feel free to email me, but now that I have explained BFC's position I will lock this and future threads if you continue, because quite frankly I find your post, polite as it is, laughable. I was born in Polish and have lost family during WW2.

Martin

Hey Martin...whats this about them Yankee's using the Panzerwaffe's tactics for some practice before the next Ryder Cup??????

A highly informative work for either the historian or the gamer. Comments by Golf War veteran tankers say that the lessons it teaches are still taught today.
;)

So..all is revealed..the TRUE reason for taking Saddam out tongue.gif

Regards

MÃ¥kjager

Most of the tactics covered in the book can be applied universally. While the term "heavy tank" describes something different in 44-45 than what the original author(s) meant in 39-40, the platoon and company level tactics as described in the book can be applied just as well.

Martin

Mr.Picky would like to point out that the 'heavy' tank referred to in the book is the Panzer IV with the short 75L24 gun. The company structure of German tank companies changed by 1943, if not earlier, from a mixed light/medium (Panzer II/III/35(t)/38(t) are light, Panzer IV 75L24 is medium) structure to a homogenous one. So my guess is that the company tactics can really only be used out to mid-war, where they refer to a different use of the light and medium platoons/companies.