"Could not initialize 3D graphics"

Bogdan

Hi all,

I'm very surprised today when trying to launch CMBB ! When double-clicking on the shortcut, the screen goes black, asking to me my resolution preferences.

It's all the more strange that I've installed and patched CMBB (and CMAK too) almost a year ago and I have ran both games without any problem before that very day !

So now, the computer wants me to select a resolution preference in "Software Mode" with a screen resolution of 640 x 480 (or something). I've only got the choice between 3 resolutions, with only a difference about Hz frequency.

2 things possible here :

1/ I choose a resolution and click "Ok". Then the screen goes black again and I can heard the intro music. And by pressing the spacebar, I've got an error message.

2/ I skip to the other choice, and after the 3 possibility, I come back to the desktop with a "Could not initialize 3D graphics" error box.

Here are my specs :

HP Compaq nx8220

Win XP Pro with SP2

ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (driver 6.14.10.6512)

Everything ran smoothly before. I suspect my installation of a webcam to corrupt something :confused:

PS : same problem for CMAK.

...and after the 3 possibility, I come back to the desktop with a "Could not initialize 3D graphics" error box"

This is a normal error when you have not selected the last available resolution. The resolution process just ends with this error rather than loop around to the highest available resolution, etc. Apparently this is a limitation with the DirectX code/library that performs the resolution selection process and it can't be 'fixed'.

What resolution are you running your desktop at ? Has this changed since last time you ran CMBB or CMAK ? If your desktop is being run at a resolution below what CM has been set for, then CM will go through the resolution selection process under the assumption that the display may no longer be capable of displaying the higher resolution it was set for earlier.

The 'software render' resolutions (640x480) are invalid for both CMBB and CMAK, though they get offered (it only works for CMBO). So if one of the 640x480 'software rendering' resolutions is selected then CMBB & CMAK should both give you an error about being unable to run at the selected resolution (unfortunately after you've already selected the resolution - with no chance of changing it without deleting the Prefs file and restarting CM).

You say everything was working fine a day or so before and the only thing new is a webcam (and its software) ? Could you possibly uninstall the webcam software/drivers (assuming that this is the only thing that changed on your system since CM last worked) ?

What version of the ATI Catalyst drivers are you running, from the Windows-based driver number it looks like an early 6.x Catalyst ? Have these been updated since CM last worked ? Are you running more than one display off of the X600 ?

I have a similar problem. Wiped the HD recently, reinstalled CMAK etc now I get offered the lowest resolution and, either way I click, I get dumped out with the "Could not initialize 3D graphics" error box. *sigh*

Specs are PIII 730Mhz with a Nvidia Gefore 4 vid card. I've just dl'd the latest driver from Nvidia (though I'm dubious that it's actually working, of course).

Any tips?

Ta

Harry

HarryInk - Are you using Windows XP ? Do you have Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed before attempting to run CM ? Do you have an anti-virus (or 'internet protection') utility running when you install the video driver ? An anti-virus/internet protection utility may interfere with some driver installs, so it is best to temporarily disable such utilities while installing some drivers.

Which motherboard do you have (or PC manufacturer and model number) ? You might benefit from installing some 'chipset' drivers that help support AGP under Windows which in turn may help with your videocard.

So this will involve uninstalling your videocard driver, installing some chipset drivers, possibly installing Service Pack 2 and other Windows updates, turning off anti-virus/internet protection temporarily and then reinstalling your video driver. This will most likley take several reboots between some of the steps (especially after Service Pack 2 and other Windows updates). With this done you can check rudimentary DirectX 3D functionality with dxdiag (Start Menu > Run > type in dxdiag and click the 'OK' button). When running this app, click 'Yes' to the dialog box that comes up and then once it has finished loading (small progress bar in lower left corner) click on the 'Display' tab. In here under 'DirectX Features' click on the 'Test Direct3D' button to run through a series of tests. Passing these should indicate that Direct3D is working minimally. If you fail any of these test, some thing may be wrong with the video driver install (most likely) or possibly the DirectX install (which is part of Windows).