Why is Peng Challenging a Centipede?

Nidan1

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

Emrys, you dolt! I am *not* preggers. Well, not that I know anyways. That was my better half's way of covering his tracks when he didn't realize *I* was still logged in. If and when I *do* get pregnant, *you* shall be the last to know.

And the rest of you lot: 1. The blanket mod is mine. Kinda scratchy and doesn't feel like snow at all, but I will own up to it and admit it was my suggestion to use the blanket. 2. The tank was duly dull-coated, but apparently the flash on my digital camera is "too strong". My dear Hiram has been having some trouble the last few models getting pictures that are clear *and* "shine free". I shall attempt to put my photographic experience at work today and remedy the situation.

The flash'll kill ya every time.

I have some small success photographing my models and miniatures with either daylight or several strong worklights. The worklights yellow everything up a bit but it's still not too bad.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

The tank was duly dull-coated, but apparently the flash on my digital camera is "too strong". My dear Hiram has been having some trouble the last few models getting pictures that are clear *and* "shine free". I shall attempt to put my photographic experience at work today and remedy the situation.

But why is the Sherman black? That looks really weird.

:confused:

Oh, about the lighting: If you can either detach the flash and move it off to one side or angle it so that it bounces off a white surface, you'll get better results.

smile.gif

Michael

Originally posted by dalem:

I have some small success photographing my models and miniatures with either daylight or several strong worklights. The worklights yellow everything up a bit but it's still not too bad.

If you ever get serious about using that particular technique, there are lightbulbs that have specially blue-tinted glass that is color neutral for photography and can be screwed into existing fixtures. A copuple of caveats though. They get very hot—they're something like 120 volt IIRC—so you wouldn't just put them into any fixture and you wouldn't want to have them on very long. The other thing is that they tend to burn out pretty quickly.

I've never tried using a halogen lamp, but that might be an even better solution. I doubt that it would be precisely color neutral, but it might be close enough.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

If you ever get serious about using that particular technique, there are lightbulbs that have specially blue-tinted glass that is color neutral for photography and can be screwed into existing fixtures. A copuple of caveats though. They get very hot—they're something like 120 volt IIRC—so you wouldn't just put them into any fixture and you wouldn't want to have them on very long. The other thing is that they tend to burn out pretty quickly.

I've never tried using a halogen lamp, but that might be an even better solution. I doubt that it would be precisely color neutral, but it might be close enough.

Michael </font>

Hiram-

I have found that Testors Model Master Enamel "Faded Olive Drab" is a beautiful thing for U.S. WWII armor. If you want it to look "fresh", prime flat black and do a thin layer over the top of that - very dark. For a more faded look, straight Faded OD with no black primer, and you can still lighten up the main color with a little Flat White and drybrush the highlights with it. Then Dullcote.

I think you've seen these before, but: 1:285 scale miniature M24.

1:285 scale miniature M4.

1:35 scale M18 diorama.

The minis were taken in morning light inside, the Hellcat in morning light outside (duh).

I use the same painting techniques described above in both scales. The miniatures get it a little lighter shade because of the small scale.

I was going to link to some of the stuff I've taken indoors with yellow light, white-corrected on my camera, but I took all those pics down.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Dale, I like the lighting on the Hellcat. There must have been a very high, light cloud cover than day, because you have definite shadows, yet you have kept both detail in the shadow areas and the highlights aren't blown out.

Good job.

Thanks. Complete accident of course. A buddy online demanded I take pics "now" and upload them so he could see, so I dragged it outside right then. It was diffused sunlight, so I do think it was cloudy. Fall day I think.

I also use a tripod and fool with the aperture and the like. I forget what the rule is, especially for my mag filters and my tiny tanks, but with a digital camera I can fool with it until I get the exposure + depth of field correct. Then I forget again.

Originally posted by dalem:

Hiram-

I have found that Testors Model Master Enamel "Faded Olive Drab" is a beautiful thing for U.S. WWII armor. If you want it to look "fresh", prime flat black and do a thin layer over the top of that - very dark. For a more faded look, straight Faded OD with no black primer, and you can still lighten up the main color with a little Flat White and drybrush the highlights with it. Then Dullcote.

I think you've seen these before, but: 1:285 scale miniature M24.

1:285 scale miniature M4.

1:35 scale M18 diorama.

The minis were taken in morning light inside, the Hellcat in morning light outside (duh).

I use the same painting techniques described above in both scales. The miniatures get it a little lighter shade because of the small scale.

I was going to link to some of the stuff I've taken indoors with yellow light, white-corrected on my camera, but I took all those pics down.

DAMN dalem ... do my eyes deceive me? Is that REALLY a GENUINE 1967 WASHINGTON HEAD QUARTER?

WOW! I'm impressed ... <small>stupid bloody photo grogs ... stupid bloody MODEL grogs</small>

Joe

Originally posted by rune:

Thou shalst countith to 300

thous shall not count to 301 nor 302

311 is right out.

Rune

Shall we count to 299? Not stopping there mind you, but in the PROCESS of counting to 300 it would seem necessary? And, once the countin's done (good Country Western song in that I'm thinking) who shall "snuff it"?

Joe