Day of Battle - 2nd volume Atkinson is out

JasonC

Atkinson wrote An Army At Dawn, focusing on the US in North Africa. His second in the planned trilogy is now out, covering Sicily and Italy. I've only read the prelude chapter so far but it looks good. Reminds me of The Glory and the Dream by William Manchester, actually, in its ability to convey atmosphere by peripheral anecdote. Parts are quite funny, characters vivid so far (though the early focus is on the high level pols and staff generals).

I've ordered mine from Amazon after reading a bit in a bookstore. Don't pay the full bookstore $35, it is only $20 on line. Any others out there reading it yet? Will we see a round of Sicily and Italy scenarios? (If we ask nicely...)

I'm in step with Philippe. I'm up to November 1943 and engagement with the Winter Line. Pretty good so far. I appreciate all the endnotes and sources Atkinson provides. I recommend it.

I wouldn't mind one or two Salerno scenarios to come from this. There aren't any Salerno scenarios as far as I've found.

Not finished yet but great read so far. Clark's mis-handling of Rapido river offence and Salerno, Churchill's micro-managing of Anzio and the poor tactical thinking all-around (by the Allies) is well covered. Atkinson presents the very human strength and weaknesses of the major figures in vivid color. Some great material for CMAK scenarios.

Just finished reading it smile.gif

Excellent book.

Even better than Army at Dawn because Atkinson has reduced the number of boring home front stories. My only minor quibble would be that IMHO in 2007 one can dispense with calling the germans "grey wraiths" and "babarians" (when not citing historical documents). The true horror of nazism was that its crimes were commited by a civilized people, not barbarians.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Alsatian:

I'm in step with Philippe. I'm up to November 1943 and engagement with the Winter Line. Pretty good so far. I appreciate all the endnotes and sources Atkinson provides. I recommend it.

I wouldn't mind one or two Salerno scenarios to come from this. There aren't any Salerno scenarios as far as I've found.

I think there were some Salerno scenarios at the old Scenario Depot. Not sure though. I'm sure if you say nice things to Kingfish or Treeburst they will whip you up one.

As for the book, I had it on preorder and have had it sitting on my shelf for most of the semester. One last paper to finish and then I can start on it.

I'm slowly but surely up to Operation Diadem and the Anzio breakout. Still stellar in terms of the writing, except for two minor critiques. Atkinson should give his thesaurus a rest (too many oddball words), and for all the maps he has it would have been nice to have one that showed Anzio in relation to Cassino and Diadem.

And the word Salerno is not found anywhere at the Scenario Depot. Nor Avalanche. Using google anyway.

You might want to take a look at the CMAK section of CMMODS and check out the zips of Sorted Scenarios. Anzio and Salerno scenarios would both be in the Italian section of the sort. To find the actual scenarios you would have to load the folder of Italian scenarios and eyeball the scenario descriptions in the scenario menu. They shouldn't be too hard to find if you don't have to sift through all the other theaters.

Originally posted by Philippe:

You might want to take a look at the CMAK section of CMMODS and check out the zips of Sorted Scenarios. ...

Thanks for the reminder. I checked it out, but it's still skimpy. Six scenarios (5 Brits, 1 Ami); mostly fictionals. Considering the strategic consequences and the see-sawing tactical events, I still think Salerno is overlooked in general.

And who wouldn't be interested in a scenario based on this guy, the pre-Audie Murphy Audie Murphy,

265221836_969d588cc6.jpg

awarded the CMOH for actions at Altavilla and sent on a homefront publicity tour during the war.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read Atkinson's 2nd book and I was a bit underwhelmed. He spends in my opinion too much time quoting reporters not soldiers, and the battlefield accounts are to me few and far between. A lot of fighting, especially by Commonwealth forces, seems to get short shrift. The book seems US-centric.

Further, Patton's slapping incident, women in military, the home front, Ike and Montgomery sniping at one another, and the experiences of Italians caught in the middle receive a thorough treatment.

Further, Atkinson seems a little wishy-washy and flag-waving when it comes to explaining why it was so few Germans held up so many Allies for so long. There was a little bit too much "Rah rah Greatest Generation" for my cup of tea.

Perhaps this is just because Italy was a populated country where politics really influenced the war, while North Africa was relatively "clean" warfare. But I didn't like it as much as his first book.

Hasting's Armageddon I think is an example of the better approach for a large campaign history: cover the basic issues but focus on experiences of the actual soldiers, civilians where appropriate, and pulls no punches on how and what was responsible for military success and failure.

Originally posted by Alsatian:

And the word Salerno is not found anywhere at the Scenario Depot. Nor Avalanche. Using google anyway.

Salerno scenarios that I know of:

The Creek (already mentioed by Andreas)

A Walk in the Sun

Winter Line scenarios:

A Mountain Reteat

Bare Arse Ridge

Pantano Knobs

Point 441

Prelude to Anzio

Anzio scenarios:

A Ranger's last stand

Brits at Anzio

Operations:

Castleforte (Gustav Line)

Island Hill (Winter Line)

Little Stalingrad (Winter / Gustav line)

Rush of Jousts (Anzio)

Santa Maria Infante (Gustav Line)

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

I recently read Atkinson's 2nd book and I was a bit underwhelmed. ... The book seems US-centric.

Well, the trilogy is about the US Army, so that's to be expected really.

Hasting's Armageddon I think is an example of the better approach for a large campaign history ...
I lapped Hasting's books up like a puppy dog back in the day. I've rather gone off him over the last 10 years or so - his self-promotion (e.g. in regards to Port Stanley) and idolisation of the Nazi's is a bit overwhelming.