Video Troubleshooting Guide

If you are having trouble with CM's incredible graphics, here is a summary of all video troubleshooting tips from 50,000 posts:

1) Download latest drivers for your video card. Almost always works.

2) Buy a video card. If you don't have a separate video card and are using the computer's on-board integrated video, that's your problem. If you don't know which one to buy, start a thread about any brand you can think of, and you will receive at least 20 informed, technical responses about why it's no good (but you can learn a ton for free).

3) Buy a new computer. A CPU speed in the triple-digit range will enhance your enjoyment of not only CM, but many other exciting games. Network it with your old one and teach your girlfriend to play.

If you have completed the above and it still won't run, it's because your operating system is Windows NT:

**At the DOS prompt, type C:format

Answer yes to everything.

Install something else.

Play Combat Mission.

**Just kidding. Don't really do this. This was a lame joke. Always wear safety goggles and hearing protection while playing any war game, and please don't drink and post to this or any board, especially if pregnant.

Oh, yeah: If you load a PBEM file and it looks weird, close Combat Mission and all other apps. Reopen CM and reload the file. Usually works. If not, your opponent has an Apple and is using a weird format (make him stop) or is an AOL member and is sending in their "proprietary" e-mail encoding (have him resend "in the clear").

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 06-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

If you are having trouble with CM's incredible graphics, here is a summary of all video troubleshooting tips from 50,000 posts:

1) Download latest drivers for your video card. Almost always works. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately the first thing to try. Also verify your version of DirectX if running on a Windows 9x platform.

2) Buy a video card. If you don't have a separate video card and are using the computer's on-board integrated video, that's your problem. If you don't know which one to buy, start a thread about any brand you can think of, and you will receive at least 20 informed, technical responses about why it's no good (but you can learn a ton for free).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would disagree with a blanket statement that all onboard video chips are problematic and the cause of video problems in CM. It could very well be this, but without giving regard to what you currently have, it's impossible to make a statement like this.

But like you said, if they just ask most likely someone here is familiar with that setup and can offer good advice.

3) Buy a new computer. A CPU speed in the triple-digit range will enhance your enjoyment of not only CM, but many other exciting games. Network it with your old one and teach your girlfriend to play.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

New computers are always great and upgrading your hardware seems inevitable, so now might be a good time to bite the bullet if you enjoy CM. (And it's an even better time to get your significant other interested in the game! Would make it easier for you to explain those long nights you spend playing games!)

If you have completed the above and it still won't run, it's because your operating system is Windows NT:

At the DOS prompt, type C:format

Answer yes to everything.

Install something else.

Play Combat Mission.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize you are just kidding here, but if someone took your format comment seriously and they aren't computer literate enough to know better, you could have just caused major damage to someone's well being. Don't laugh, I know several people running NT that don't know the difference between a format command or that you don't need to double click 'buttons' within Windows to make them work. To them a computer is this mythical device that just somehow magically knows how to do everything.

You're right. I fixed it, above.

The word from BTS is:

"It is STRONGLY recommended that you have a 3D graphics card with a minimum of 8MB of VRAM (i.e. texture memory). Any system under 200MHz most likely will not run Combat Mission adequately without one. Our recommended system is one that runs in excess of 200MHz and has a 3D card with 16MB or more of VRAM. A 4MB card will work, but graphical quality will be greatly reduced.

"Windows Users - You will need Microsoft DirectX version 6 or later.

"MacOS Users - You will need SoundSprocket (part of Game Sprockets)."

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 06-16-2000).]

Another weird lockup explained

Never had trouble with CM until I started PBEM-ming. Experienced frequent lockups, requiring a reboot. Found out soon enough that the troublemaker was Outlook Express, which I normally kept running in the background, ready to send the next file.

Not anymore. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

Experienced frequent lockups, requiring a reboot. Found out soon enough that the troublemaker was Outlook Express, which I normally kept running in the background, ready to send the next file.

Not anymore. smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juju, I never had a lock up, but some of the screwed video when a turn is first opened definitely seems related to OE running in the background.

If I kill everything (OE and CM), restart CM, and load the same file from the same location, it works fine.