.50 caliber MG

I recently got into an argument with a guy I know about the armor-penetrating power of the .50 caliber MG. I told him, that in WW II, it could penetrate about 15mm or so. The guy I know, a policeman, said he fired one and penetrated three inches of steel. He didn't elaborate on when and where he did this.

I told him he fired a weapon sixty years advanced from the war, but he said that didn't make any difference, because it is the same round. I also told him there is a difference between regular industrial steel and steel specifically made to be armor plating for an AFV. He left unconvinced.

Is there documentaion I can use to show this guy?

Originally posted by Sanok:

I recently got into an argument with a guy I know about the armor-penetrating power of the .50 caliber MG. I told him, that in WW II, it could penetrate about 15mm or so. The guy I know, a policeman, said he fired one and penetrated three inches of steel. He didn't elaborate on when and where he did this.

I told him he fired a weapon sixty years advanced from the war, but he said that didn't make any difference, because it is the same round. I also told him there is a difference between regular industrial steel and steel specifically made to be armor plating for an AFV. He left unconvinced.

Is there documentaion I can use to show this guy?

If he doesn't know the difference between mild steel and armour steel, can you even be confident that he can read?

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Wallybob:

3/4 inch of armored steel plate at 800 Meters.

M2 HB ground mount

.50 Cal Browning SLAP (Armor Piercing Ammo)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is this from documentation I can show the guy I know?

OK, here's the simplest possible .50 Cal question, but it's one that has always bugged me:

What is the function of that giant coat hanger that hangs beneath the barrel? Is it just a handle for carrying the barrel, and perhaps for managing it when it's hot? Or is it for drying the gunner's wet socks?

If there's one thing I know in terms of HMGs, its the m2 .50. I was in the 6th MT in the marines and we trained on the .50 all the time. If he's still convinced a .50 bmg can go through 3 inches of armor, let him know that the US military would gladly pay top dollar to learn such secrets smile.gif

Various questions apropos this discussion:

Could someone elaborate on the difference between armor-steel and regular steel? How much armor-steel could a .50 of WWII era actually penetrate? Are they modeled with reasonable accuracy in CM?

Why are the CM .50 ammo loads so low?...I know the rounds are big, but wouldn't they be fired in very short bursts? The .50 ammo is usually gone before you know it in the midst of a long battle. Should .50's perhaps be kept on short cover arcs and saved for vehicle targets?

Any help with any of these questions would be much appreciated....

flamingknives, that reply is not nearly technical enough. It is also far too short, and written without one single obscure word/term, making it likely to be fully understood. For shame.

Go back to your Rexford Guide to Posts, and re-read the chapter on armo(u)r plate. Then, if your head hasn't imploded (or you've fallen asleep), try again. We'll be waiting.