CMAK...Thats Great, but what about a new CMBO?

Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

I'm looking forward to CMAK, but I'd really really like a new, updated CMBO...does that look likely? Would that possibly be BFCs next project? Because I really can't play CMBO anymore compared to CMBB, and i really love France 1944/Germany 1945. Is a new CMBO on the horizon?

Have you been reading this forum at all?

Hint - What do you think would be lacking from CMAK that would preclude you from redoing your favourite CMBO scenarios?

Think long and hard...

Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

No, I haven't been reading the board lately, and I appologize if this has been brought up already. quite a bit would be lacking from CMAK. I'm talking about A NEW GAME, a new CMBO...

No need to apologize, I forgot the smiley. smile.gif

Name one single thing that CMAK won't have, that CMBO did. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm talking from a gameplay standpoint.

I bet Magua's Normandy mod would work with CMAK, for example - or a similar concept to replace the Mediterranean artwork.

But from a pure gameplay standpoint - what?

[ November 01, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Now, I read on here in one of the discussions that "tall hedges" will be included. Don't know how that will affect vehicle movement, but CMBO's bocage rules were too simply, and honestly didn't depict real bocage anyway. So while the tall hedges will be present, I would guess that Rhino-equipped vehicles will not be. No great loss to me personally, as I never liked the way they were modelled to begin with.

True bocage should include stuff like underbelly hits for vehicles crossing them, not to mention the fact that the roads between them were not 40 metres wide (lucky if they were 20 feet wide), there was a pronounced earthen mound (not simulated at all in CMBO) and the trees ontop interlaced over the road in the pics I've seen. Not that I claim to be a bocage grog, but I think these criticisms apply to the majority of what was termed "bocage".

There was also talk of the King Tiger not being in CMAK but I don't remember if that was addressed (for those wanting to do Bulge scenarios).

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

There was also talk of the King Tiger not being in CMAK but I don't remember if that was addressed (for those wanting to do Bulge scenarios).

For the U.S. I assume it will be missing the M24 Chaffee, the M18 Hellcat, and probably the M26 Pershing. Maybe the recoilless rifles. These are my assumptions only. I don't know what parts of the German tin can armada would be missing as compared to NWE, nor am I speculating about other Allies.

Even if I'm correct, there is likely to be so much overlap that I doubt I'll miss any of the above. With the right map I can be happily in France 1944 just like with the right CM:BO maps I am happily in Italy in 1943.

Hell, as long as I'm happily not on the East Front somewhere, I'll be happily happy, happiness-wise.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

Hell, as long as I'm happily not on the East Front somewhere, I'll be happily happy, happiness-wise.

Me too. Hell, the main reason I might have been interested in a tactical level game on the East Front is the Nashorn, and I got that out of my system right quick. Talk about eggshells with hammers...

Michael

This was all discussed a while back and my memory may be shaky but my impression is that virtually all the equipment found in CMBO will also appear in CMAK. I agree with Michael Dorosh that even if CMBO-like bocage is omitted from AK it will be no great loss, since that was probably the least-well-modelled terrain feature. Tall hedges or even lines of woods would be OK with me. ;)

The only foreseeable problems with redoing CMBO in CMAK are with the armor. I remember several threads ruminating about the inclusion of Pershings, Comets, Archers, King Tigers, JagdTigers, et al. Since these were not available in Italy (NOT positive about the British tanks mentioned) will they NOT be included in CMAK? :confused: If not, then many a great CMBO game cannot be revised.

:(

Was there any additional--better yet, "official" word on this subject?

But at least there will be Elephants (or were they Ferdinands--don't havemy books with me). :D

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

For the U.S. I assume it will be missing the M24 Chaffee, the M18 Hellcat, and probably the M26 Pershing. Maybe the recoilless rifles. These are my assumptions only. I don't know what parts of the German tin can armada would be missing as compared to NWE, nor am I speculating about other Allies.

Even if I'm correct, there is likely to be so much overlap that I doubt I'll miss any of the above. With the right map I can be happily in France 1944 just like with the right CM:BO maps I am happily in Italy in 1943.

-dale </font>

There are quite a few CMBO British vehicles that on a strict geographical interpretation won't be in CMAK. Also, the British section level weapon mix is different in Italy cf. NWE (Thompson cf. Sten).

One thing I do so hope makes it into CMAK - which is kinda noticeable by its absence in CMBO - is more variety of Allied bns in the purchase screen. For starters, the motor bn found in UK armd bdes would be nice, along with the equivalent unit from US fmns.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by Diceman:

If the M18 is missing, I'll be gravely dissapointed. I've seen several pictures of them in Italy. Can't say about the M24 for sure but I see no reason why they wouldn't have served in Italy.

Yep. M18 served in Italy. Don't think the Jackson did, and that is going to make a couple of key Bulge battles difficult to recreate.

Originally posted by JonS:

There are quite a few CMBO British vehicles that on a strict geographical interpretation won't be in CMAK. Also, the British section level weapon mix is different in Italy cf. NWE (Thompson cf. Sten).

One thing I do so hope makes it into CMAK - which is kinda noticeable by its absence in CMBO - is more variety of Allied bns in the purchase screen. For starters, the motor bn found in UK armd bdes would be nice, along with the equivalent unit from US fmns.

Regards

JonS

But the Sten used a 28-30 round mag of 9mm, the Thompson a 20 or 30 round mag of .45 - would this difference really warrant a firepower change in game terms? (The large drum mag on the Thompson was unpopular by all accounts I've read - and noisy when on patrol).

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

Regards

JonS

But the Sten used a 28-30 round mag of 9mm, the Thompson a 20 or 30 round mag of .45 - would this difference really warrant a firepower change in game terms? (The large drum mag on the Thompson was unpopular by all accounts I've read - and noisy when on patrol). </font>

Originally posted by JonS:

AFVs - Cromwell, Challenger, Comet, Ram Kangaroo (although some Sherman Kangaroos were), Sexton weren't present. Fireflys were, in small numbers.

For the US, only the M18 and M26 weren't present. M3 Lights, M5, M8, M4, M24 were (there's a famous photo of one crossing the Po river on a ferry IIRC).

Regards

JonS

It'd also be nice to see a proper Commonwealth rank structure introduced as well.