Original WW2 docs - nice link

Moon

Yea, great site, very interesting stuff to read, thank you!

But I noticed a fault:

The personnel file of Michael Wittmann – is here! This is the complete personnel file for SS Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann, as found in the U.S. National Archives. Writeups for his awards, descriptions and commendations for his actions – particularly at Villers-Bocage – are all here. This is the original, unfiltered documentation on the SS panzer officer who is the highest scoring tank ace of all time.
That's not true...

He may be the most famous tank ace, but he's "only" No.4 of the highest scoring tank aces...

1. Kurt Knispel (s.Pz.Abt 503) -- destroyed 162 enemy tanks

2. Otto Carius (s.Pz.Abt 502)--destroyed 150 enemy tanks

3. Johannes Hans Bolter (s.Pz.Abt 502)--destroyed 139 enemy tanks

4. Michael Wittman (s.SS.Pz.Abt 101)--destroyed 138 enemy tanks

Greetings, Sven

[ December 03, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Trommelfeuer ]

Good heavens - I didn't realize Wittmann was number 4! Despite the site's name and mission in life, I certainly don't claim to be a historical expert. Thank you for the clarification! smile.gif

I'll have to check for the personnel files for the other officers to see if I can find them. I did check earlier for Otto Carius (an associate of his contacted me some time back to see if I could find it), but unfortunately I didn't have any luck.

Thanks again!

Mike