New weapontype?

Europa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Europa:

Why isn't there a shotgunmachinegun? 120 shotgun cardtridges per minute should be enough to pin everyone your firing at at close ranges out to 40 meters. What is wrong with that idea?

1. It wouldn't be much good beyond 40 meters.

2. It would be *really* heavy.

3. It would have a nasty kick.

But some automatic shotguns do exist, and might be useful in certain specific situations. I.e. http://midamericarecreation.com/shotgun_pages/shotgun1.htm

Why isn't there a shotgunmachinegun? 120 shotgun cardtridges per minute should be enough to pin everyone your firing at at close ranges out to 40 meters. What is wrong with that idea?

1. It wouldn't be much good beyond 40 meters.

2. It would be *really* heavy.

3. It would have a nasty kick.

But some automatic shotguns do exist, and might be useful in certain specific situations. I.e. http://midamericarecreation.com/shotgun_pages/shotgun1.htm

Ok, I will be fair and assume that you're asking why there isn't a weapon like this in real life.

Lord Peter already gave several good reasons. Due to the shotgun's questionable range and accuracy, it'd make a truly poor squad support weapon. And an extremely heavy one, as mentioned. Quite impractical.

Ok, I will be fair and assume that you're asking why there isn't a weapon like this in real life.

Lord Peter already gave several good reasons. Due to the shotgun's questionable range and accuracy, it'd make a truly poor squad support weapon. And an extremely heavy one, as mentioned. Quite impractical.

Whether they are illegal and whether the US used them in vietnam are not neccesarily related issues ;) .

I thought I had seen footage of US troops in Iraq now with shotguns as well.

I was pretty sure they were not used in WW2 due to treaty issues. But I am always willing to entertain the possibility that I am totally wrong!