Market a Fix for Vista & CM

There was some fix for(radeon?) cards that makes text appear in 'small black boxes' so that they are readable, because else the graphics card would not show them properly. So that text altering is possible I think. And I invite everyone to try selecting enemy units and telling if there is a difference...

Just figured out what really slows(at least) my vista/9600gt down. The graphically displayed green/red bar on infantry. The moment I selected arty spotter the refresh rate dropped to annoyingly slow, then after I managed to give a target point for him, the game got much much faster. And in short, the amount of ammo displayed as green/red bar got replaced by the time it takes for the bombardment to start. Tried it with many diff units and those that have the bar really slow the fps, but tanks etc have not that and with them its quite smooth to give orders. Anyone else got anything to say to this? Or ability to take that graphical bar off?

This is from the microsoft site:

Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB. However, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports 32 GB of physical RAM and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports 64 GB of physical RAM using the PAE feature.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. When the physical RAM in the system exceeds 16 GB and the /3GB switch is used, the operating system will ignore the additional RAM until the /3GB switch is removed. This is because of the increased size of the kernel required to support more Page Table Entries. The assumption is made that the administrator would rather not lose the /3GB functionality silently and automatically; therefore, this requires the administrator to explicitly change this setting.

The /3GB switch allocates 3 GB of virtual address space to an application that uses IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the process header. This switch allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual address space above 2 GB.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. The following example shows how to add the /3GB parameter in the Boot.ini file to enable application memory tuning:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

So 3 GB max per application if you use XP Pro and set the 3GB switch.

• 2 weeks later...

As Moon stated alluded to above, CMBO, BB and AK are no longer supported titles and haven't been in years. That's not to mention that we don't even list Vista as a supported OS with those games.

We understand that they have a huge base of installed users but our focus is on new, revenue generating games like CMSF and future games still in the works, not titles that employ technology nearly a decade old.

That's not to say we don't still enjoy the original three games, of course we do, but in this case, the problem is a uniquely Vista one and even more centralized to the current state of Nvidia (in most cases) and ATI (to a lesser degree) drivers.

We have been down this road many times before and every time its taken a concerted effort on the parts of ATI and Nvidia to rectify the problems on their end in their drivers themselves. We can not simply code up a quick fix for fundamental issues with their drivers. We know, we have tried in the past.

As we have ruminated about countless times, our research and development time is very scarce and finite. Either we can focus on our current and future games and continue to grow as a company, or we can expend these precious resources on games that are now between 5-9 years old. Even if we offered an update at a price, it could not offset the true cost of such a venture.

We love that you guys love our older games, but they are exactly that, old and with age, in this industry at least, often comes obsolescence and assorted aches and pains.

We have always said that we will be turning our attention back to WWII very soon, and when we do, and you see what we can do with the CMx2 engine in that setting, I think you will be pleased that you have stayed with us all this time.

Madmatt

We have always said that we will be turning our attention back to WWII very soon, and when we do, and you see what we can do with the CMx2 engine in that setting, I think you will be pleased that you have stayed with us all this time.

Madmatt

Be careful, "very soon" is a very relative term... and some of us are extremly ready to get back to WWII.

• 4 weeks later...

Since there seems to be some interest in updating the glitches with the Vista/DX10 combination (at least from the players perspective) has anyone at BF ever thought of trying the P500 system that other game companies have tried?

You put out a notice that BF will produce a specific product (in this case a Vista/DX10 fix) and give a price (e.g. $20). You then ask for interest from players who would register their names (and their credit card number). If the number of registered buyers exceeds a certain number, only then is the product developed.

So lets say that BF puts that number at 1000. Then we could all track to see interest in this being completed and when it would be completed. It would stop the *****ing and moaning if that number is not reached (if there was a lack of interest) and give us an idea of whether the product will be released (if interest was overwhelming).

I know that I would pay $20 for this and probably $40 if some other fixes were also included. This game (CMBB and CMAK) has given me countless hours of fun (over 500 hours in 3 years - though you would never suspect this if you see how badly I play ;) ).

I think this would be a great way to have the complainers see if this is viable and also allow BF to gauge interest. Grunt work like this could also be contracted out and lead to a continued revenue stream. Anyhting to help the future viability of BF and its great games.

• 2 weeks later...
As Moon stated alluded to above, CMBO, BB and AK are no longer supported titles and haven't been in years. That's not to mention that we don't even list Vista as a supported OS with those games.

We understand that they have a huge base of installed users but our focus is on new, revenue generating games like CMSF and future games still in the works, not titles that employ technology nearly a decade old.

That's not to say we don't still enjoy the original three games, of course we do, but in this case, the problem is a uniquely Vista one and even more centralized to the current state of Nvidia (in most cases) and ATI (to a lesser degree) drivers.

We have been down this road many times before and every time its taken a concerted effort on the parts of ATI and Nvidia to rectify the problems on their end in their drivers themselves. We can not simply code up a quick fix for fundamental issues with their drivers. We know, we have tried in the past.

As we have ruminated about countless times, our research and development time is very scarce and finite. Either we can focus on our current and future games and continue to grow as a company, or we can expend these precious resources on games that are now between 5-9 years old. Even if we offered an update at a price, it could not offset the true cost of such a venture.

We love that you guys love our older games, but they are exactly that, old and with age, in this industry at least, often comes obsolescence and assorted aches and pains.

Madmatt

Hmm. Let me get this straight...

Still selling the game at a fairly expensive price for this "unsupported, old ass game"...but barely making a mention of the issues that pretty much ANYONE WHO BUYS IT WILL RUN INTO THESE DAYS?

Hmm. I think a fix should be worked on. It couldn't possibly take up more than a week or so.

Either that, or you make it blatantly obvious to people on the sales page that it won't work with DX10. This game is awesome. It's great. It's the best WWII ground battle simulation ever made. But this....this fiasco is horrifying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...