Market a Fix for Vista & CM

Mad Matt:

I would think that there are plenty of us out here that would pay for a fix to CMBB & CMAK for our Windows Vista. If you cant do a free fix, why not spend the effort and market one. What say?

Thanks, Paul Moore (West Chester, OH)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to secnd this. My old PC broke down the other day and was forced to but a Vista machine, I was very disappointed to see that i can't play CM any more.

Is there any plan to fix this or give us a sure fire way to way to get over this problem?

One sad CM player :-(

From what i have read it seems that the fix needs to be for the NVidia 8**** series.

I'm getting cascading graphics and all the stuff i tried to fix it did not work. My favourite gane pollaxed in one fell swoop. CMSF plays great though but don't really play that :-(

Various posters have been asking for a fix for users with a Nvidia 8000 series card using a vista operating system for many months(including me). I've been able to overcome the cascading backgroung problem, however CMBB runs VERY SLOWLY.

Aside from unhelpful comments from vista haters, there has been no word from Battlefront on how this will be addressed.

I'm sure I'm not the only CMBB player who has replaced their pc with a Nvidia 8000 series card and a vista operation system and can no longer enjoy this game and thus will not purchase CMC.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Zoomie87:

I'd pay for a CMBB/Vista fix. That'd be a lot better deal than having to purchase a copy of XP and go through the hassle of creating a dual-boot system for just one game.

Couldn't agree with you more. Battlefront's silence on this topic is inexplicable. I believe (not 100% sure) that you now cannot purchase new pc's with XP from the major manufacturers.

Even if they were not wrong, we have no intention at this point to fix an issue for such a specific case (and for what we didn't break in the first place). For all we know Nvidia releases new drivers or new hardware while we're working on this, and we will have wasted time, effort and money (not to speak that people will have to wait for new games longer).

If you want a fix, then your better bet instead of posting here is to hammer Nvidia with emails and forum posts so that they fix their drivers. From what I recall it's their Vista drivers for the 88xx series that are the problem, not Vista as such (though I might be wrong).

Martin

What'll happen to Windows XP after June 30? I'm confused.

In industry speak, this is called "end-of-sales." On June 30, Microsoft will stop distributing Windows XP as a stand-alone product that you can buy shrink-wrapped in the store. We'll also stop sending it to Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the other major PC manufacturers to sell on their PCs.

Above from the Windows web page.

Battlefront - no, you didn't "break" anything. However you're planning to release a "new" product that many of your loyal customers, after upgrading their pc's, cannot play. It's still unbelievable that you are not planning to adress the Nvidia & Vista issue.

Hari what ATI card is this?

Is it an older DX9 card or one of the later models? I can't believe for a minute the new cards work perfectly - if they do this means the entire problem lies with the drivers and not the architecture of the cards/and or operating system.

Having said that I'm running CMBB with Vista Ultimate, and a Nvidia 7600GS, although I don't have the fog :(

Ah right well there you go - "older" gen cards are going to work fine with Vista. It's the latest DX10 cards that are causing problems. My mate has a ATI 3870 and Vista and he can't even run the game with the latest drivers. He gets the blue screen of death.

The answer at the moment is to use an older gen card with Vista, or reinstall XP and use any.

I still gotta say this; Has anyone tried to reduce the amount of texts you see when selecting troops in-game? I mean when the game is laggy and slow with vista/nvidia and you have an enemy unit selected, its smooth(enemy units displays so little texts) and when you select your own units the game gets laggy.

I think some guru can alter those texts maybe...?