Been awhile since I've been here. I see CMAK is available. Is it worth the cash?

Finally after moving from Texas to Indiana, and getting everything in order, I finally have a little time to spare.

I DL'd CMAK demo last night and really like desert scenario, the dust and playing as the good old US won me over. Most likely I will puchase CMAK, it only makes sense to add CMAK to my collection of CMBO, CMBB.

What I would like to know is what else al of you guys like about CMAK units, terrain, ect.

Man where the heck did all the old members go? Looked at all the posts and see nothing new names. I see MikeT is still CMMOSSing. Thanks MIKE

[ May 05, 2004, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Am I old enough?

:D

Go ahead and get it. Sounds like you are already sold anyway. Opinion is somewhat divided. Some people don't like playing on sand, but there are plenty of European scenarios for them anyway. Since it doesn't sound like that's going to be a problem for you, you should like it even better. Plus, some of the old CMBO scenarios have been translated so as to play in the updated engine with all its improvements. There are a few bugs that got introduced with some of the changes, but I understand that BFC is working on one more patch that might help out with some of them.

Michael

Shatter,

Welcome back! One of the things I like is that AFVs are much more durable, since many of the weapons no longer grossly overmatch the armor. A Boys antitank rifle may not kill with one shot, but it's quite capable of inflicting agonizing death by inches, and is really hard to spot. I had an M-11/39 sustain dozens of hits, hits which didn't kill it outright, but progressively reduced it to little more than an armored tractor, before it finally succumbed to something larger. Tankettes can gobble up exposed infantry with their multiple MGs and considerable speed, but are quite fragile. Armored car types have proliferated, and armored car fights are a hoot. Sometimes they'll take all kinds of hits and fight on; other times it's all over quickly. K-kills are hard to come by. Believe it has something to do with changes in lethality modeling for small autocannon and similar weapons.

The pucker factor as a dust cloud inexorably rolls toward your positions is enormous. If the wind's blowing, you may not be able to even tell what's coming. Apropos of dust, be advised that my experience has been that fast movers on dirt in dry conditions can't be targeted because of the way the dust cloud is modeled. This has been reported as a possible bug.

Watch out for rocky terrain (new terrain type). Trucks not only don't move fast on it (talking walking pace, glacial uphill), but are prone to immobilization. Ditto halftracks. Brens and Universal carriers seem to do well on it, though.

Have zero experience moving tanks through it, so can't comment.

The Flammpanzer III we first got in CMBB is missing from CMAK (was used in Italy so should be in), and loud have been the cries to put it back in. We're hoping it'll be in the patch.

In the category of nasty discoveries, the Italian Lancia flame tankette will only fire flame if "Use main gun?" is answered in the affirmative. If you're used to Crocodiles and their orders, this can mess you up. Also, M-11/39s are a bit odd in terms of configuration. One casualty in the wrong place leaves you with a vehicle with no MG (separate turret) and armed with a slow-firing, low blast, sponson mounted 37mm gun. Think spavined Grant/Lee (both now in game).

Reading desert terrain is tough, so tough a bunch of mods have been ginned up to address the problem.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown while setting up my defenses for my first ROW IV battle. Be sure you learn to distinguish brush from rocky in dry conditions. I made that mistake and failed to cover an entire route of advance.

Many early war vehicles are now available, and the modders and scenario designers have gone hog wild in consequence, including some of the ROW IV types.

Ostensibly, CMAK covers North Africa, Sicily, Italy and Crete, but so much more is now doable.

There's much more to tell, but my experience is limited almost exclusively to ROW IV, since I got a CMAK capable computer barely in time to play in the tournament and until recently, have been basically entombed in that intense activity.

Regards,

John Kettler

Sounds good, I am going to order tonight. Thanks for heads up. Nice to see some of you guys are still around.

Can't wait for to get it, I use to play DFDR loads, way back when it was first released. From the demo, the desert combat was real plus for me, especially with Older US units.

Thanks

Don't forget the Grants and Lees. You'll recall there were howls of pain when players discovered the Lend-Lease M3 Lee didn't show up in CMBB. They're in big-time in CMAK!

And 6 pdr Valentines now have their own dedicated polygon in CMAK (another CMBB oversight). If you've been away for awhile you should check out www.cmmods.com for the great and growing pile of CMAK mods. AndrewTF uniform mods are an absolute MUST!

[ May 06, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]