Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tacitus

First thoughts on CMAK

Recommended Posts

I am an avid Combat Mission player and was delighted to get CMAK in the post today (Friday) and would like to share some first impressions.

1.The terrain graphics are great. I like the dust clouds and the feeling of being in a desert. The doodahs are good esp the rough terrain. The trees in Italy etc are a bit too green though.

2.Nice to have some new vehicles esp the Sexton and M3.Paint jobs vary between "well modded" to a bit bland.M3`s look awfully new.Still a good place to start.

3. The sounds are very good. Like the track sqeakes and engine sound of the ac`s.

I`ve only played it for acouple of hours and think I`m really going to enjoy it(like the last two!).Please may scenario makers do more operation.

Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought my game today, looked hastily at the scenario and operations list and wondered why there is no real Tobruk scen/op (with the city itself)

Go on you mappers and scenario builders, we need Tobruk ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by r0tten:

Bought my game today, looked hastily at the scenario and operations list and wondered why there is no real Tobruk scen/op (with the city itself)

Go on you mappers and scenario builders, we need Tobruk ;)

Did they actually fight inside the city?

??

On another note - are there any Ortona battles/operations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I can't wait to refight the battle of Ortona smile.gif

I'm going to have to break out my Farley Mowat books.

Dorosh any recommendations for books regarding the Canadians in Italy? I'm 3/4 of the way through Circles of Hell right now but it seems to be predominately focussed on the conflicts between the American and British allies with only the odd mention regarding Canadian influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The History of the Seafourth Highlanders, covers its action in Italy. I only read part of the book so I don't know how well it covers the fighting though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by r0tten:

Bought my game today, looked hastily at the scenario and operations list and wondered why there is no real Tobruk scen/op (with the city itself)

Go on you mappers and scenario builders, we need Tobruk ;)

Did they actually fight inside the city? </font>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Member # 4691:

Yes I can't wait to refight the battle of Ortona smile.gif

I'm going to have to break out my Farley Mowat books.

Dorosh any recommendations for books regarding the Canadians in Italy? I'm 3/4 of the way through Circles of Hell right now but it seems to be predominately focussed on the conflicts between the American and British allies with only the odd mention regarding Canadian influence.

Stay away from Mark Zuehlke. Best book is Daniel Dancocks - D-DAY DODGERS: THE CANADIANS IN ITALY 1943-45. It is superb. Dancocks committed suicide a few years ago, but left behind many great volumes, many WW I books, but also some WW II stuff, notably one on POWs and the Italy book.

Mowat is good too, also check out anything by Strome Galloway, who fought in North Africa with an Irish regiment, then returned to his home unit the Royal Canadian Regiment for Sicily and Italy. He wrote for the Legion Magazine for decades, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Panzerman:

The History of the Seafourth Highlanders, covers its action in Italy. I only read part of the book so I don't know how well it covers the fighting though.

Reginald Roy wrote this one; it is a terrific volume, in the top 10 percent of Canadian regimental histories, as far as quality goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Member # 4691:

Dorosh any recommendations for books regarding the Canadians in Italy?

Be a bit leery of this one, Grog Dorosh. He was just after hitting on people in the Peng Challenge Thread.

Not that we weren't flattered. Except that he was a bit full of himself. You know how off-putting that can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

The History of the Seafourth Highlanders, covers its action in Italy. I only read part of the book so I don't know how well it covers the fighting though.

Reginald Roy wrote this one; it is a terrific volume, in the top 10 percent of Canadian regimental histories, as far as quality goes. </font>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...