New Scenario - "Bridgehead at Fedorowka" Winter 1943

Hi

Just uploaded this scenario at The Proving Grounds - link below:-

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details_link.html?sku=734

This battle covers Peiper’s III ‘Blowtorch’ (armoured) Battalion from SS Panzergrenadier Regt 2 attempts to seize a bridgehead over the Msha River during the Battle Of Kharkov, Winter 1942 - 1943. It is best played as a H2H but also works playing against the AI (with a bonus for experience).

This a joint designing effort between myself and Charlie Meconis.

As always feedback much appreciated.

Enjoy :D

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by David I:

George,

I decided to track you down over to this thread as well, just to let you know that I am really going to kick you ass in CMAK!

Oh yeah, thanks for another cool scenario. Not that that's going to help you any.

DavidI

Should'nt you be working? Kick my arse? You and who's army - oh! the American Army - bring it on! :D

Hi Radetzky and aragorn2002!

Cheers for downloading the scenario - hope you have as great a time with it as I have had creating it (and currently PBEMing it with Kenfederoff),and look forward to your comments.

Cheers fur noo

George

PS

This is where you get to find out just how effective SPW were and why Peiper's gang were called the 'blowtorch battalion' or 'blowtorch squadron' ;)

george

i'm currently advancing on south fedorowka, encountering light resistance so far. my opponent lives in the us, hence this game will take some time to play. but it's really one of the best maps i've seen so far. i decided to push with 2/3 of my troops to the south, leaving 1 coy to cover the rest. i hope my computer can cope with the battle growing in size.

p.s. btw, mr peiper leads the way on foot, i won't let the evil hun come away in this one, of course

Hi Guys

Cheers for the feedback smile.gif

I'm part way through playing as a PBEM against Ken Federoff. We started playing on an older version which has a differant flag set-up. At the moment my Russian infantry are taking a pounding from the Blowtorch boys but hanging in there!

look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers fur noo

George

just a short summary of the weekend: the fascist invaders took a hell of a licking from the defenders of the motherland! seriously, being halfway through the battle, the waffen-ss lost about 3 full platoons and most support weapons. i experienced some desperate, costly house-to-house fighting over the ruins of south fedorowka. plus the appearance of t-34s tearing into my left flank didn't help to raise morale. this is going to get tough!

p.s. george, i beg for reinforcements arriving - but i start thinking about not getting any?

Peiper was on his own here. In fact he did'nt bother to hang around and wait for the rest of the division to arrive but pissed off and headed for Fedorowka. By the time the rest of the division caught up he was sitting tight on his bridghead repelling all comers.

I know of two other games going on around this, none are going the same way for the players! smile.gif

If you want email me at gmcewan@totalise.co.uk and I can fill you in on all the lowdown.

Cheers fur noo

George

I read somewhere that Peiper was rather indignant about his men being referred to as the "blowtorch battalion". He goes on to refer to the fact that he used blow torches not to torch the local neighborhoods, but to heat up the transmissions on his vehicles during those winter months. The nickname caught on with adverse connotations, with the help of the nazi propaganda machine.

sound fishy? :confused:

Originally posted by simovitch:

I read somewhere that Peiper was rather indignant about his men being referred to as the "blowtorch battalion". He goes on to refer to the fact that he used blow torches not to torch the local neighborhoods, but to heat up the transmissions on his vehicles during those winter months. The nickname caught on with adverse connotations, with the help of the nazi propaganda machine.

sound fishy? :confused:

The nickname, originally, was worn with some pride ( I assume?) by the unit as the vehicles in the unit sported a blowtorch painted on the vehicles. Peiper is quoted in the biography by Agte (excellent piece of work re the research - readers can make up their own minds as to the sentiments in the book) as saying the nickname came about due to their habit of attacking Soviet positions in villages at night. The thatch in the houses caught fire due to tracer rounds etc - hence the nickname. This nickname was then given differant connotations after the war with the allegation, denied by Peiper and hence maybe the source of the alternative view you mention above, that they were deliberately going around setting fire to houses with blowtorches. This allegation was I believe part of the case that was made against Peiper after the war for his being tried for war crimes.

This series of scenarios recreating several of the actions involving Peiper's unit were born out of a desire to recreat some rather audacious, couragous and ultimately bloody actions that were fought by both Soviet and German units during the winter of 42/43 around Kharkov. Additonally Peiper evolved armoured mounted infantry tactics that were for the time exteremly innovative.

Both Charlie (my co author and designer) and myself have been very meticulous to research the Soviet side and give the Soviets their own identity rather than a faceless 'Red Horde' - as the bravery shown by the Soviet units during this fighting was equally as exceptional.

Hope this info is of use. smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by philwil:

Great battle so far, and tough! I'm on turn ten, against the AI, Soviets. It's a beautiful map, and a really punishing scenario. I've already lost one flank. Keep 'em coming!

Hey glad you are enjoying it. Charlie and I are are just putting the finishing touches to an operation(Peiper's Chariots of Fire) set in the same period covering some further actions of Peiper's unit when it clashed against the hard fighting 6th Guards Cavalry Corps. Keep an eye out at The Proving Grounds.

Cheers fur noo

George