New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL new Macs now shipping at not dual boot

they only boot in Mac OSX

"Will it work on Mac OS-X?

No. Since this game is still based on the original Combat Mission code which was designed to run on Rave3D and that API is not currently supported in OS-X, CMAK will not run in native OS-X mode. In all likelihood it will also not work in classic mode either but we can not predict what changes Apple may make with Classic Rave3D support between now and the time CMAK is released. Either way, OS-X in native or classic mode is NOT supported. The aforementioned CMX2 engine WILL support OS-X."

so hold on to your OLD OS 9.x Mac if you plan to play this one. :(

-tom w

Originally posted by litchy:

any answers on the nvidia front for the new version. Seems like same engine new game call me EA, this is not to down CM (I love it) but against the new Il2 ww2 game the graphics look a little lame. I know the stats behind the garphics will be better but in the end eye candy sells. Sad but true

Read the thread. Matt already answered this one once before.

Steve

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

ALL new Macs now shipping at not dual boot

they only boot in Mac OSX

"Will it work on Mac OS-X?

No. Since this game is still based on the original Combat Mission code which was designed to run on Rave3D and that API is not currently supported in OS-X, CMAK will not run in native OS-X mode. In all likelihood it will also not work in classic mode either but we can not predict what changes Apple may make with Classic Rave3D support between now and the time CMAK is released. Either way, OS-X in native or classic mode is NOT supported. The aforementioned CMX2 engine WILL support OS-X."

so hold on to your OLD OS 9.x Mac if you plan to play this one. :(

-tom w

Not from what I heave heard. We were in the computer store a while ago and the Mac salesman said that Apple was pushing the date for OSX only boot till September or later. And as a OS9x user I would have to say that I don't care either way... tongue.gif

[ April 04, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Happy to see another installment. The graphics look wonderful (someone got a new video card :D ), and the addition of multiturreted/sponson vehicles will be quite nice.

The sand clouds will be a multi-edged sword: look at that approaching dust cloud beyond the dune there, wonder whats at the base of it? It will make for some nice surprises and spoil others will it be a column of trucks or a plattoon of tanks?

Sad to see that it will still be non OSX capable, though we can always hope that Apple will take pity on us and fix Classic Rave. Glad I bought a dual boot machine last fall :D . I do find I play CM alot less than I did before as I reboot out of OSX only once in a great while :mad: At least I still have a laptop that is always OS9 only for CMBO and CMBB (a bit weak but there it is) at least for a while longer, lets hope it will work with CMAK.

Good job on a quick follow up and keeping the revenue stream going!

What? No Brazilians? No FEB (Brazilian Expeditionary Force)?

Battlefront, I fear you might be alienating a very important customer base by leaving out our fine fighting forces which had a pivotal role in some skirmishes in Mount Cassino and nearby places.

:mad: No Brazil... but you guys just know I'll buy the game anyway :mad:

;)

Epée

(brazilian exile in Ozzieland)

[ April 04, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Epée ]

Panzerman, sad to say the only new Macs you can buy that boot into 9 are eMac,the last 15" Powerbooks and the current iBooks. the latter pair will be replaced in the near future. I have not heard of anyone hacking OS9 booting into the new iMac, G4 Al Powerbooks or the G4 towers. There are a few OS9 compatible units available to educational customers, the original iMac and a single tower that is exhorbitantly expensive (ok even more so than most Macs).

So you can buy an eMac (whose life expectancy is short), or an iBook as the Ti Powerbooks have a video card that is not compatible.

Edited as I am keyboard dislexic.

[ April 04, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: kmead ]

whoooo Iam getting giddy like a little girl, this is a nice suprise considering I wasnt accepting a new Cm game till 2004 at least

one Q though,north afrika and the pacific theatre are the fronts that I've not really looked into but Iam guessing that desert warfare is simaler to the steppes on the eastern front which I generally find bores me will the open desert be the focus for most of the scenarios?or will they be as varied as CMBB.

thanks

Ash Slater

Edit: To say well done to BFC for bringing a new CM while working on the new engine I've already started to fill my piggy bank

[ April 04, 2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Slater ]

Originally posted by Slater:

Iam guessing that desert warfare is simaler to the steppes on the eastern front which I generally find bores me will the open desert be the focus for most of the scenarios?or will they be as varied as CMBB.

thanks

Ash Slater

I'm guessing that the desert also means trenches, minefields, dug in ATGs, and airpower--battles could be sweeping armor engagements, but with the lack of cover, you pretty much had to dig in to hold a defensive line and there was a lot of that in this war zone. As I understand it, the scenes of armor sweeping through vast territories as in the steppes tended to happen after breakthroughs--resulting, often, as the outcome of attritional slugging matches.

There will also be Sicily, Italy and Crete, so if you don't like desert terrain you've got a lot of other terrain options. I'm personally looking forward most to Sicily and Italy. :D

[ April 04, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by kmead:

Panzerman, sad to say the only new Macs you can buy that boot into 9 are eMac,the last 15" Powerbooks and the current iBooks. the latter pair will be replaced in the near future. I have not heard of anyone hacking OS9 booting into the new iMac, G4 Al Powerbooks or the G4 towers. There are a few OS9 compatible units available to educational customers, the original iMac and a single tower that is exhorbitantly expensive (ok even more so than most Macs).

So you can buy an eMac (whose life expectancy is short), or an iBook as the Ti Powerbooks have a video card that is not compatible.

Edited as I am keyboard dislexic.

The latest 15 tibooks while Dual boot, WON"T run CMBB

there are plenty of posts about this graphics card driver deficiency in the Tech support forum, I posted pics there of the psychadelic graphics that you can't fix because there is no "fixed" driver for OS 9 for the video card in the latest 15 inch TiBooks

(unless something has changed in the last month?)

:confused:

-tom w

And I thought my day was ruined after I woke up so early and just couldn´t go back to sleep. Now I know that my waking up had a purpose. Great to hear about a new CM game, patch for CMBB and a teeny weeny bit about the engine rewrite. And with THREE CM games I can surely wait for the rewrite, playing with a smile on my face. Thanks guys, you´ve done it again !

See-Mak.

Definately has the best ring to it out of all of the series smile.gif

I also like the fact that the price should be less than 45$

I've always said that I thought 45$ was a little bit steep, especially with the added cost of shipping.

Does this mean that there might also be a price change in CMBB? I don't want to sound cheap but even if BTS reduced the price by only 5$ that would probably be enough to tip the scales for me ;)

BTW the Afrika theatre doesnt interest me that much but I cannot WAIT to get my hands on the Italian theatre smile.gif

OMG OMG OMG...UH UM HEH HEH HEH...*continues to babble incoherantly and walks away to get napkin to clean drool of keyboard*

Absolutely AWSOME!!!!!dust,multi-turrets..And best of all its coming out THIS YEAR..WOOHOO..

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Definately looking forward to the tactical challenges of open desert battles

[ April 04, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Erwin Rommel ]

Italian OOB should be divided between "regulars" and those who defected to the Allies after the fall of Mussolini's regime on Sept. 8th 1943 (partisans and regular units joining the Allies).

Partisans attacks on German columns in the forested mountains of Central Italy could become hairy very quicly :D

Well completely unexpected - excellent opsec there guys.

Damn, I thought I had another year or more to gather info for Italian scenarios!

Sorry to see no Spanish Civil War : ]

Question: Are the South Africans and Indians going under the Brits?

Greeks?

Oh boy Italians on both sides

French colonial troops ?

Loooooooking forward to it.

MadMatt,

What a great surprise. Thank you.

I hope AK goes back to the camera levels and resolutions of CMBO. The BB levels are elcrapo!

What Wolf asked: what theatre will CM2X new engine focus on. I hope the Early Years with motorcycles, horses, carrier pidgeons, etc !

Can't wait to experience one of my favorite North African Campaign expressions: (paraphrased)

" Yessir, we have advance quite far. We've passed the first Buq in Buq Buq."

Sand between my toes..... Toad

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Ok, Biltong, 8 months to get to Berlin ;) .

Then its on to Biltong in the Desert!

Hehehehe, at least I'm ahead in April 42. tongue.gif

Great to see the Aussies there, can't wait for Tobruk!!!!!!!! Oh BFC please oh please don't double up on voices. Us Aussies don't speak like Brits or Americans!!!!!! I'll nominate for voices if you want. smile.gif