ROW III - The Boots and Tracks CMBB tourney (Part 4)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Holien I’m working up a thirst now.

Kingfish, of course RoW IV, it’d be to soon for RoW V :D

I’m sorry to hear about JK. He was always a major poster keeping this thread at the top.

Good luck John, maybe we’ll see you by RoW XXII

;)

I appreciate all the expressions of dismay and support here, also the waggish humor--RoW XII indeed!

KR,

If you have a magic wand available, please wave it now! The CD-ROM is still unseen by the computer, and even partially dismantling my rig and checking the connections failed to restore it. Until the CD starts showing up, there will be no AARs for the RoW II Finals. Worse, I can't even drown my sorrow in CMBO!

Regards,

John Kettler

Status report.

The file sizes with KR have been fixed and I won't tell you why but guess...

:(

3 turns left to do and I want this game finished with asap. It has not been very good IMO.

T re-appeared but has since gone on a bender. I think he might be of the same opinion as me in another game. He is not happy.

T if you are out there? Lets just wind up the three remaining turns quickly so we can all get on with better things.

This has been a tourney which is better off finished as over half the games have been far from satisfactory for a variety of reasons.

The sooner I can openly discuss this on the BBS the better. (This is not a pop at the designers.)

So KR and T please lets finish this experience this week.

Please Please Please...

H

Status Report ROW III 3-4

# Rear_Guard_Action

Frenchy vs Space_Hamster

- Complete

# Hosszupalyi

SuperSlug vs Frenchy

- Complete.

# The_Beast

Deadly 88 vs Frenchy

- Complete.

# The_Christmas_Battle

Frenchy vs Ryddle

- complete.

# King_Of_Debrecen

Joe_Cz vs Frenchy

- complete.

Guys,

I have an AAR for "the Beast" that has no name attached to it, and due to it being in Word perfect I cannot open it to see who the author is. Here is the list of players whom I have received AARs from:

Spanish Bombs

Nolloff

Frunze

Heavy Drop

Texas Toast

Shock Trooper

Sgt Kelly

Holien

Lt Bull

Cpl Carrot

If you have sent me an AAR in Wordperfect, and do not see your name on the list, please resend it in either MS Word, Notepad or PDF format.

At last the thing called Xmas is over...

AAR sent.

KR I will talk to you later...

tongue.gif

When you wake up!!!

;)

Now T please just send me a turn so we can finish that game and I can move on.

We have 10 days before you crash out and we could finish this so easily that it is annoying that you are holding back.

I want to be able to talk openly in the private BBS and you are holding me back.

So please reconsider your position.

H

The only thing I would add to that is if a death of yours is traded for two or three of your opponent you will be up on the deal. (I know I might be stating the obvious there).

So if you have no chance of taking the flag but for example your tank can kill one of his that will help your score.

It is a gamble but if your tank can take two out before dying then that equates to more points to you.

The other point to note is if your morale is going to collaspe and you have units near the edge get them off board the turn you think it is going to go pear shape.

All hard lessons to learn.

H

308, you want the highest game score you can get - that's part simple. Getting the highest game score can be complicated.

Like if the defender has so far taken only a few casualties, and keeps the flags, you'll get only a few points - so if the defender keeps all of them, it'll be a 80 or 90-point totally lopsided win for the defender.

So the attacker would actually get more points if there were more casualties, even if it was one - to - one or slightly in favor of the defender. Just as long as it's not a totally lopsided slaughter of the attacking forces.

Redwolf explained this to me in the last tourney, when I offered him a ceasefire 'cause it didn't look like he was going to take any flags anyway. He rejected it 'cause I'd taken only a few casualties at that point, so the ceasefire would favor me. (I guess ceasefires might be against the rules anyway, but I didn't realize this at the time.)

Turned out he was right to continue the attack - the game ended in his forces autosurrendering, which is bad, but he'd inflicted enough casualties on me that he still got more points than if he'd taken the ceasefire. (He saved the file, and after the game was over, we checked what would've happened. Just out of curiosity.)

On the other hand, if he'd stopped the attack and retreated later, when he'd inflicted more casualties on me, and avoided the autosurrender, he might have done better yet.

So the answer to your question, 308, might depend on how many casualties there have been so far, which side's suffered the most, and what your prospects are for inflicting casualties on your opponent if you continue the attack. Probably you shouldn't post all those details publicly, but you might have to take 'em into account when thinking about it.

Hey, Frunze, yeah I remember that game. If I continued hard but not -as I did- recklessly I would have gotten a better score.

Everybone, I have my explantions of the CM scoring system at

http://thforums.com/CMBO/

somewhere.

It was for CMBO, but none of this changed for CMBB. It has some example calculations about when a flag rush is worth it (never) and how worthwhile it is to play for casulties. As always I blame scenario designers for placing too few flags on the maps. A player with a decent understanding of the scoring system has a substancial advantage. I think this is unrealistic and in lack of a more detailed scoring system I would say more flags are better for realism. There's no math games to play around taking terrain. While it is right to take casulties into account, the losses scoring system which is in place for CM is just not good enough for that aspect. More flags means more weight is put on the "better" scoring which is the flags.

John Kettler,

Please send me your delivery/home address - email in profile. I think it's about time that you should be rewarded (as consolation price) for your inspiring AAR's during the Invitational/RoW series that I had the joy to read. Sorry to hear about your computer debacle.

Do let me know if you prefer reds/whites or both.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</font>

[ March 28, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

WineCape,

Am surprised and deeply touched by your act of kindness and generosity, which comes on the heels of all sorts of travail and may portend (dare I hope?) a warming trend in the Arctic wasteland that passes for my life. Am way overdue for a thaw and a real life!

Requested info will be en route shortly va private E-mail.

Gratefully,

John Kettler

Completed games as of 3/29:

King of Debrecen

SlicerW - Mr Byte

Nolloff - Seahawk

SGT CDAT - Wellsonian

Jaws - Joakim_Ruud

Heavy Drop - Mick_OZ

Scheer - Wadepm

Flammenwerfer - Sripe

Juha Ahoniemi - Enoch