Most kills with a Tiger?

I lost one of my precious Tigers to an enemy tank hunter team quite close to friendly lines which both surprised me and horrified me. I will get bloody revenge that is for sure! :mad:

The feeling of being surrounded in this battle is quite intense. It's not for the claustrophobic. And already slysniper has surprised me by coming from a completely different direction then the AI did!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost one of my precious Tigers to an enemy tank hunter team quite close to friendly lines which both surprised me and horrified me. I will get bloody revenge that is for sure!
And the aura of Tiger invincibility comes to an end. No need to worry though. I was in for a rough ride during my first PBEM games too. I still had a blast though; losing to a human is still always more fun than stomping the AI. You learn quick from playing a human too.

Originally posted by MichaelWittman:

I lost one of my precious Tigers to an enemy tank hunter team quite close to friendly lines which both surprised me and horrified me. I will get bloody revenge that is for sure! :mad:

Humans dont have to be stupid like AI. You are not the very first "King of the Offline" who would learn that he is only the peon while playing with live opponent(s).

Rum, it is attitudes like yours that prevent many of those that play only AI from wanting to play other people.

Yes, it is harder and when one is not familar with what can be done by a opponant will lead to mistakes playing against them. Wittman has decided to test his skills and hopefully he can enjoy the battle, no matter the outcome.

He is learning that I can keep my units hidden where as the AI would never do so.

Last turn found him driving past my AT gun hidden in the wheat, It nicely placed 3 shots on the ass of 2 MK IVs. But he has luck this turn and learned the lession and lost neither tank and I lost the gun, fun turn though

Well I just finished a Seelowe scenario and broke the record for most kills by a single Tiger. Admittedly it was a Tiger 2 but hey that's still a big cat. I got 20 T34-85s with an elite crew before running out of ammo and then the survivors getting their revenge by pummelling it with multiple rounds, got gun damaged and I reversed it out of harms way. Distance to the targets was just over 500m - what a kill-zone! In all I knocked out 51 enemy AFVs for the loss of a single Jagdtiger (immobilized then later abandoned) 2 Panthers and 2 HTs. I got a total victory in a battle where I was outnumbered by at least 10-1!

I was seriously disappointed by the accuracy of the Jagdtiger. With 30 rounds of AP they only managed 5 kills at a ridiculously short 300m range. Pathetic! redface.gif

on a whim, I visited the CCBB forum and came to this thread. After several years of immersion in CM, I had a very long hiatus from it. Played many people through Band of Brothers and IIRC, Dogs of War CM groups ( there were many great moments of defeat and victory))...and for sure the tactics of a human opponent far outweigh that of the AI. I would love to play again, most of my experiecne was with Beyond Overlord, some CMBB and some CMAK. I am game for any of the above and quick battle of any type, or scenerios. I don't play gamey and I do turns quickly ( and can do T/CIP occasionally).

On an aside, I recently moved to Wyoming and now that the night comes quick and last long, and the days are cold and windy ( with windchill, sub zero F today), I can relly enjoy the thrill of this game again

If anyone is interested, let me know through email ( available in profiles), or through this form).

Bud

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My first PBEM battle against slysniper is progressing well and we are both losing many tanks in the process but I'm having fun and never had as much challenge before. He's very devious but I'm holding my own and I still have an ace up my sleeve (my Tiger) but not many turns to go now. I've played 50 out of 65. I've yet to exit any troops yet though...

Originally posted by Cuirassier:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I lost one of my precious Tigers to an enemy tank hunter team quite close to friendly lines which both surprised me and horrified me. I will get bloody revenge that is for sure!

And the aura of Tiger invincibility comes to an end. No need to worry though. I was in for a rough ride during my first PBEM games too. I still had a blast though; losing to a human is still always more fun than stomping the AI. You learn quick from playing a human too. </font>

Originally posted by Cuirassier:

A challenge? Well not right now since I don't think I'd have the time. But I can let you know when I do and we can play a game if you want.

Until then I'll get my game face ready...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Btw, what is the scenario you are playing right now? I'm just curious.

It's a blowtorch scenario by GeorgeMC set during Kursk (historical) and because it's a rescue mission it's very challenging. You have to rescue Col. Peiper and his forces from being overwhelmed by a superior Russian force.

The first time I played it I annihilated the AI's tanks but this time it's played very different versus a human opponent. I recommend it to anyone.

Time for a short update, Wittman has done well considering the situation of the scenario and not having played much other than AI but I think he has had a little H2H before.

Just under 10 turns left and his situation is still hard pressed. He has had a few moments where he has felt success.

He jumped a platoon of T34's with two platoon of MK IV's that came on as reinforcements. Total loss to my units with no damage to him.

That unit of his became a focal point for awhile and more Tanks were lost to remove them from being part of forces to help open a corridor for retreat.

He began his main effort to excape, once I was sure I knew his path of excape I went in thinking I had fire supremacy in one rear side area. Within one minute he had 5 PZ IV's cut off my advancing tanks and was able in a head to head duel with 5 T34's at just around 200 meters to smoke all 5 of my tanks again with no losses from that direct engagement. I was not impressed-but he sure was.

I also ran into a infantry rear guard unit that ambushed another T34 platoon, he quickly took out three tanks there.

He has played sound tactics and seems to be enjoying himself.

It will be interesting to see what he can get off the map, but I have made it hard on him and he has lost plenty of equipment with no real success in providing a clear path as of yet to really move units through and he is still being chased from all sides without enough forces to provide protection from every angle.

I am glad it is him and not me, But I appreciate the fact I could play the loaded side for once.

It has been fun.

He still has a chance in this thing also, just depends how much more stuff I lose preventing the excape - I am somewhat playing for "no one to get away" which is not smart but I am not playing it safe just to protect my score. He will be allowed to rumble that tiger off the map since my equipment is no match for that, but he still has hopes to get that unit somewhere where he can unleash some hell on me.

Conclusion soon

[ January 13, 2008, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

If you can imagine, about 30 Halftracks now making a mad dash for their home lines, with only a tiger, Pz 4 and a couple of SP units for protection. 30 or so Russian tanks with about 20 of them being T34's in all sorts of positions around the fleeing units. My guess at the moment will be that the tiger and maybe a sp unit with most of the Halftracks making it out alive. Hard to say. Every turn a tank can get within range he loses one to two halftracks. For him the only advantage is he has most of my units behind him now.

Is it too late to say SPOILER for info about German side in Nahkampftag..

I've been playing Nahkampftag against the AI, and my Tigers have been having some of the worst luck ever. One bogged and immobilized itself while hunting in steppe within the first few turns. The other can hardly seem to kill anything it shoots at. At under 200 metres in a wheatfield it had to shoot about 12 rounds just to kill one T-34. Side hull penetration didn't kill it, then THREE ricochets off the T-34 turret (due to very oblique angle of facing) and many misses. All this during about ten minutes of hunting and dancing about. Just bad 'dice rolls' I guess, but no iron cross for that crew.

The scenario is kind of interesting. I'm at about turn 35 and have almost all my forces at the border ready to escape. The briefing says the Soviets have 'random reinforcements' which probably means many many reinforcements but with very small percentage chance to appear per turn. I often find the AI will receive reinforcements and then fail to move them or use them at all, if they can't see the enemy, so who knows what's going on out there in the fog.

I'm wondering if my forces will suffer a huge surrender-inducing morale hit when I exit Pieper's battalion.

Note that the Tigers and PZIV's are not meant to exit.

Since the sharpshooters and tank hunter teams are the only German infantry who are in 'fit' rather than 'weakened' status I've used them as a rear guard.

The scenario is kind of interesting. I'm at about turn 35 and have almost all my forces at the border ready to escape. The briefing says the Soviets have 'random reinforcements' which probably means many many reinforcements but with very small percentage chance to appear per turn. I often find the AI will receive reinforcements and then fail to move them or use them at all, if they can't see the enemy, so who knows what's going on out there in the fog.

This is why playing a person instead of the AI makes this scenario come to life, As the Soviet side it sounds like there is no way that each game would be the same as to what might appear. but no matter what, you have nothing for dealing with them tigers. I have tried taking out one tiger with 6 T34's before in another game, against a decent player, it will likely end in a nightmare. the T34 is good keeping the tiger busy while the infantry does the job becase the t34 will not.

I'm wondering if my forces will suffer a huge surrender-inducing morale hit when I exit Pieper's battalion.

I cannot remember if you take a hit to morale when you have the exits in play, you would think that would not happen in that type of game. But i cannot remember without running a test game to see.

Note that the Tigers and PZIV's are not meant to exit.

Correct, but his last PZIV will be dead soon and that leaves his one tiger, he can leave it on the map, maybe I can get that second one also with a tank hunter team because he will be very lonely soon.

I played a bit more and it turns out that you don't lose morale for exiting units 'for points'. (phew)

I lost a Tiger from a lower hull penetration by a T-34 at 200 meters- a rare unlucky result, in the context of CMBB.

Yep, sounds like he would be wise to exit his isolated tank.

You're right about a human opponent bringing a scenario to life. I'm waiting for my friend to send orders in Steutzpunkt Glowaczow, another scenario from blowtorchscenarios.com, which is incidentally probably my favorite scenario ever.