Searching for a GD late war infantry mod

Is there a uniform mod available for Grossdeutschland panzergrenadiere, panzercrew and other members of the GD division, late war (1944-45)somewhere? Or is anybody working on such a mod perhaps? It would be great to have it, since some superb GD scenarios have turned up recently. I know there is a great early war GD infantry/panzer crew mod by Michael Dorosh available, but no late war mod (including winter uniforms etc.), as far as I know.

[ November 28, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Aragorn2002 ]

Aragorn2002,

What look are you looking for? Squads and crews in camo, Officers in field grey with cuff titles?

(The cuff titles will show up on both arms however, due to shared bmps). Pz Crews in black with cuff titles? That sort of thing?

DavidI

PS. You know I could do it with latewar SS PzGrenadier bmp numbers, that way the cuff titles would look right. Either way you would need to back up your regular Heer or SS bmp numbers for when you want non-GD units.

di

[ November 28, 2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: David I ]

DavidI,

Are you sure Grossdeutschland infantry wore Sturmartillerie jackets?

I have seen period photos with GD men wearing Feldbluse or camouflage jackets (quite a lot of camouflage jackets, there was even a splinter camouflage jacket mod for CMBO by Michael Dorosh specifically representing GD). I don't recall photos with their wearing Sturmartillerie stuff.

By the way, your mod reminds me very much of photographs of Pz Lehr soldiers in Normandy, striking similarity (except for cuffbands, of course).

Zwolo

Originally posted by Zwollo2003:

DavidI,

Are you sure Grossdeutschland infantry wore Sturmartillerie jackets?

I have seen period photos with GD men wearing Feldbluse or camouflage jackets (quite a lot of camouflage jackets, there was even a splinter camouflage jacket mod for CMBO by Michael Dorosh specifically representing GD). I don't recall photos with their wearing Sturmartillerie stuff.

By the way, your mod reminds me very much of photographs of Pz Lehr soldiers in Normandy, striking similarity (except for cuffbands, of course).

Zwolo

Field grey wrappers weren't uncommon in some armoured infantry units; panzergrenadiers in Panzer Lehr had them on issue. I can't say for sure that GD's infantry regiments ever did but they were certainly a popular garment, and they look cool. smile.gif

No I don't know for sure that the GD formations wore those. Although I have seen pictures of Panzer Grenadiers other than the Lehr wearing them. And like Michael said, they look cool. The tunic is very similar to those worn by Stug crews, but were issued to PzGrenadiers, which units I can't say. I thought "A request for late war GD - this definately looks late war".

DavidI

PS. That is M. Dorosh's cuff title, love it.

di

Originally posted by David I:

No I don't know for sure that the GD formations wore those. Although I have seen pictures of Panzer Grenadiers other than the Lehr wearing them. And like Michael said, they look cool. The tunic is very similar to those worn by Stug crews, but were issued to PzGrenadiers, which units I can't say. I thought "A request for late war GD - this definately looks late war".

DavidI

David,

OK, thanks, that's about the extent of my knowledge too - I know the uniform was used my many PzGren units, and that may include Grossdeutschland, but then again it may not.

I agree the uniform looks cool, but my personal favourite is splinter camo, which I don't think anyone has modded for CMBB or CMAK (I mean summer version). I thought a mod like that could surface in this thread, since GD wore it as much as anyone, but alas not. I can't draw if my life depended on it, so I guess I will have to wait until someone else does it.

In any event thanks, it's a great looking mod of yours anyway.

Zwolo

Originally posted by David I:

Zwolo,

I agree that the splinter 4 pocket camo would be bitchin. AndrewTF are you out there?

DavidI

I would prefer a splinter camo tunic to a 4 pocket uniform, actually. While splinter tunics were rare, they still were an issue item whereas 4 pocket jackets and trousers were field expedient modifications. Having all soldiers outfitted that way feels slightly too ahistorical for my taste.

Having said that, a 4 pocket splinter camo would make a great officer or NCO mod, representing a privately bought uniform tailored from a scrounged Zeltbahn or something. Sweet!

Zwolo

Hey DavidI: I don't even have CMAnything installed anymore, mainly because I got a new G5 recently and can't boot into OS 9 anymore :( . If I whip up some textures would you be good enough to test, package them up and release them? You've done such a nice job with my other mods that you've worked with smile.gif