bogging again

i know that this topic has been well and truly thrashed out on many occasions and indeed i have just spend some time searching on the subject but i cannot find the answer i seek.

for many years i have been under the impression that vehicles in reverse dont bog regardless of ground conditions/psi etc.i put it down to a glitch in the game but today,in a pbem where i really dont need any more to go against me,i had a 251/2 bog then almost immediately become immobile while reversing down a damp grassy slope.

now if this no bog in reverse thing is now a myth it will change how i do some things.for example in another pbem i have several vehicles reversing through scattered trees.i know its going to take them 10+ turns but they are in danger and its the safest way to extract leaving all guns facing the threat.

has anyone experienced this bog in reverse before ?

I'm pretty sure it has happened to me. As a matter of fact, I remember it has happened while reversing in scattered trees, since you mention it. Doing it for 10+ turns is a very high risk, I think.

I guess if you have to have a vehicle immobilized on the reverse slope of a hill, a mortar carrier isn't so bad, provided someone can spot for him. (And provided tanks aren't chasing him, etc.)

i cant say too much on the vehicles in the trees as my opponent will be reading this but suffice to say that i'm fairly certain that he does'nt know exactly whats there and reversing is by far the safest option in this circumstance.

the 251/2 had a platoon HQ spotting but the position was flanked and became untenable.it was backing into relative safety when it bogged.and the law of sod prevailed as the 251/2 is out of command range and cant see anything either lol.

I just ran a test. 20 SPW 251/1's crossing 1 Kilometer of soft ground mud in reverse and 20 SPW 251/1's crossing the same ground in fast. 11 of the 20 crossing in reverse bogged and 7 were immobilized. 8 crossing in fast bogged and 3 became immobilized. I ran the test twice and the numbers never varied by more than 3 and those crossing in reverse always did much worse than those crossing in fast. Bottom line, reverse does not prevent bogging. Have fun, Von Schwendeman

I think that the answer is down to a randomly generated chance each turn. Therefore as reverse will take much longer to cover the same distance then more will bog.

It would be interesting to see what the odds are by turns rather than distance. Presumably they should be the same.

The question then is whether there are extra penalties for terrain or is it simply bad terrain slows you down and then the roll per go effect comes into play.