Graphic/sound mod recommendations?

Hi- I am relatively new to CMBO, having only recently discovered it. I played the demo a lot while waiting for the retail version to come out--got that this week.

My question is, can someone provide some quick recommendations/explanations for the graphics and sound mods? I understand that the Special Edition retail version has some already included, but are there others that are really good?

Also, do the mods add to or replace the current graphics/sounds? What if I want to play Utah/Omaha Beach? Would a mod for that replace the standard or default settings and require me to install one or the other before playing?

Any advice/tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Petes-24 glad to hear you got the game. You lucky dog you. ;) I don't know what is already in the special edition so can't answer that question but can say that the mods replace the current ones. Now you can go the way of getting CMMOS but I personally have not yet as I am pretty happy with just changing mods as I feel like it on rare occasion when I get tired of a certain one but overall I stick with what I currently have. Course I have changed them around over the years as I discover new ones or new ones are introduced. It's really a matter of taste as to what you personally will like or dislike so it's impossible to recommend a certain mod to you as there are so many out there. You will just have to look around and pick what grabs your fancy. Anyway hope this answers part of your question and so yeah the beach mod would replace the current one. What I do is place all my orginal mods in a new folder that I have created on my desktop so that if I d/l and install a new mod that I don't like I can just get rid of it by reinstalling the orignal one. Well, good luck and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This really depends if you are getting the new retail version or not. I have not gone the cmmos way as I only have a modem so the down loads are too great. I have moded the CMBO that comes with the combo pack sold by battlefront.

The thing I hated the most was the hexagonal muzzle and explosion flash.

The modes I installed below have changed the game enough for me. The sound pack is a fairly large download but I think it was worth it.

Most of these I downloaded from www.Combatmission.com and some from www.cmmods.com the sound mod was from boots & tracks

1) Mad Matts (dogs) Map Packs 1 & 2

2) Hi Res Faces for CMBO

3) Small Arms Pack (by Juju)

4) Wolf's HiContrast Grass & Snow pack (low res but good)

5) Juju’s Explosions (For CMBO & CMBB) Not bad, gives round muzzle flashes! And great explosions when a building is destroyed. (this mod is a must have it gets rid of the useless hexagonal muzzle flashes and explosions) from cmmods

6) Generic Marker Badges (By Juju)

7) Mine Field Markers (By Thorsten Ozzy)

8) Replacement Sky (& batch file for installations options) By Der Unbekannte Jager)

9) Smoke: I am using the “Black Smoke with Fire”, and “Real Smoke By Nathan Shinn” together to get the effect I want. I am using the 1801 .bmp from black Smoke with Fire for the red fire in the smoke off tanks etc and the 1800 .bmp from Real Smoke for the ground smoke. The 1800 from real smoke gives a nice textures ground smoke.

10) Fire: I am using the bmp’s from the Fire2 directory in Juju’s “New Explosion & Fire” mod for CMBO. (The Fire1 is more realistic, but the flames are a little too small for me at the moment. I have not tried the explosions from this mod as I are using Juju’s explosions for CMBO&CMBB.

11) CMBO trees by Strontium Dog. These look very nice. Not as colourful as the

Mad Mat Packs but slightly better. I did not mod the Deciduous trees in the

sub folder “decisuou” which replaces the pines with smaller trees,

see pictures that came with nod files. Look quiet realistic.

12) Pakfan interface mod. This is a must have. Looks Great.

13) NCrawlers CMBO Sound Pack: Better overall sounds.

If you but the normal CMBO from battle front this should get you started.

If you but the combo pack get Palfans interface mod for both. Very nice.

If you have the "special" edition then the sound and terrain graphic mods are installed automactically. They are so much better then the original game. As far as other mods.....I personally would just start playing the game, and when you see a tank or vehical that your not happy with go to a site like "Combat Mission HQ" and search the files....check out the screen shots and find new mod that grabs your fancy.

Just make sure you back-up your original BMP game files in case you make a mistake.Take your time, because there are hundreds of good mods out there. Enjoy your game! ;)