Really enjoying CMBB.. again..

Just thought I'd share this with fellow CMBB'ers. I dusted off the cd recently after stumbling across the CMC forum and I'm so glad I did! For me at least, it seems that the game has improved ten fold - I really enjoyed playing Afrika Korps but the theatre tired after a while and I got bored with QB's - I love the vast scope of CMBB and the best thing of all for me is the mods! The game looks better than ever if you ask me, and there's something about it that even betters CMAK - cant work out what it is at the mo, but it definitely "feels" improved!

I agree too. CMAK is enjoyable(especially the N African ops/scenarios)but not as much as CMBB imho. I think the "look" is important too. In particular the CM engine does not seem to model the Commonwealth or US vehicles as effectively as the Axis or Soviet vehicles. The German/soviet vehicles are, I think, hardcoded with more "knobbly bits" such as fuel tanks, spare bogies,add on armour etc etc which help create that 3D illusion. There are some glorious exceptions on the allied ( Brit/ US) side such as the Valentines/Crusaders but the sad thing is that the Sherman/M4 series lets the side down and these babies appear all the time in CMAK. These vehicles are just slab sided and despite the epic work by many(MikeyD, Aristotles special mention)that "3d effect" does'nt happen.

It's not the modder's fault it's the raw material. Also the Brit/US soldiers somehow don't look as good. In particular the Brit helmets (both versions)are, well, poor and the US one looks too much like the Russian because that's what it probably is. Even the great AndrewTF can't work his magic on indifferent programming. Do you modder's have views on this?

Cheers

Put me down also as a CMBB junkie. Probably because I've always been mad for the Eastern Front; "vast scope" sums it up nicely. Also, I'm very keen on the early war units; the ability to pit Pzkw 38(t)s versus BT-7s with lots of infantry with AT rifles excites more than it reasonably should. The advent of Combat Mission Campaigns is quite exciting. I want to dive into CMSF as soon as possible, but I won't be surprised if CMBB with CMC continues to dominate my interest.

Sunray's take on the look of CMBB vs CMAK is quite apt. Much as I like the dashing look of the Cruiser Mk IV, the menacing glower of a T-34 on a ridgeline evokes a thrill of anticipation unmatched in the other versions of CM. The tanks just look right.

Now, I like CMAK very much--but I feel very exposed out there in the desert. More comfortable hiding among the white birches of Russia . . .