CM Web Community in disarray?

Well, I for one am very pleased with CMBB and just can't go back to CMBO due to the way CMBB plays with the new commands. I at first didn't think that I'd have any interest in the Eastern Front and put off buying the game for a good 6 months but now that I have it I love it. As far as the fewer sites well that's true and I suppose it's a little sad but the sites we do have now are excellent and make things so much easier to find what you are looking for. Also I would like to point out a site that I just recently started visiting regularly and am pretty excited about and that is the one GJK mentioned above. It's a fairly new site but one that I feel will, I hope at least, become bigger and better as time goes on and more people get involved with. I think it's perfect and very much needed as it is directed towards new and not yet posted scenarios. I am playing all my scenario games from this site now a days so I can contribute something in my small way in helping scenario designers to produce a good and playable scenario for all to enjoy. Anyway, I got off track a little bit here but to answer the original question I don't in the least think the lack of sites are effecting either the quality or quantity. Like already stated before the sites we have now are good strong sites and ran extremely well and they provide me with everything I need anyway. Things do change but I have found out at least in my 55 years on this old planet that they normally change for the good although at first or on the surface they may not appear to be or so it seems to me.

Advanced Squad leader (ASL) made me sell all of my other WWII boardgames. CMBO made me shelve and store all of my PC wargames. CMBB has caused CMBO to gather dust in my bookcase. The same applies for websites. Every time I switch on the computer I check mail, read the news, check my Philly teams scores, then go CM surfing. It's always the same sequence:

First: Check The Scenario Depot. I think I now have loaded more battles and ops than I can play in the next two years, but still I download every new scenario that catches my eye.

Second: Check the CM Mod Database for mods I sometimes never knew I needed until I see the new versions.

Third: Check in with the Proving Grounds. IMHO this is the best new CM website. It's primary appeal is that now scenario designers just need to send their designs here without looking for playtesters. Then they post the revised, playtested versions. Those "that make the grade" are "promoted" the Scenario Depot.

Fourth: Check in with the good ole boys at "Boots and Tracks". Though not as prolific as the other two sites listed above, they emphasize quality and not quantity.

Fifth (and last): Head for the BFC Forum.

Sixth: Lift my head from the computer and see my girl glaring at me. Then she poses the one question that seems to answer this thread's question: "How many game websites do you need to look at?"

That's my hint that it is time to get off the computer and get back to the real world.

Maybe this too, happens to website designers? ;)

Taking care of a CM website is a big consumer of time. Real life has a way of making one prioritize your time to money making tasks and peronal relationship maintenance.

Now for free time and enjoyment, I play CMBB and CMBO. Yea, I'm playing it now! When doing CM Outpost hot and heavy, I played one scenario in a three month time period. That just royally sucked. Site work, burn out...

The CM Mod database is the way to go. Its mostly automated and is the best solution. I go ahead and keep paying the $$ to keep CM Outpost up and running as a CM promo site, but don't know how much longer I want to keep spending that $$. And on the subject of $$, make sure you donate by PayPal at the CM Mod database.

With Scenario Depot available for scenarios and CM Mod Database for MODs, things have settled down a bit on new web sites. I think the present situation is fine.

Originally posted by Cpl Dodge:

Modest change of topic, but is there a good AAR website? The only one I know of is CMHQ, and those AARs are just a couple Fionn Kelly ancient (but very good) AARs. I have seen a couple of other AARs scattered here and there on the internet, but nothing I would call a good collection. If I had more than a 24k connection :mad: I just might start one myself - unless there is one out there I just havent found.

AARs are planned to be a part of the new Boots and Tracks site.

WWB