Armored Train in CM?

You can do a crude approximation of an armoured train (with a bit of imagination)--a scenario with a small armoured train will be up at the scenario depot in about a week-ten days as soon as play testing is complete.

Its title will be, "Small Battles, Train"

I'm sure it will annoy armoured train enthusiasts everywhere!

I am currently playing TAKING the TRAIN . . .

SPOILERS!!!

Hrumph! This is fun, but I have been labelled upside my noggin by two VERY sturdy heavy AA platforms. These guys HAVE to be fanatic!!!

I dropped two full loads of 82mm (or is that 81mm) HE from my 251/2's on them, PLUS rushed them with 4 PzIII's and now I'm directing fire from 4 squads of infantry and a STUG III apon one of them.

Results?

4 dead PzIII's.

2 EMPTY 250/2's

2 PINNNED squads at HALF strength.

1 dead Pz IV (from over 800m!)

I just cannot take these brutes out!!!

It is going to cost me the battle.

I love it!

smile.gif

Gpig

Glad you are enjoying it. The solution of using dugin turreted vehicles for armoured trains however is imperfect-a turret is a much harder target than a big railroad car - however its the best we can do with the game engine at the time.

Be sure to review that for the designers over at B & T. They do a lot of good work and don't get all the credit they deserve (except for that one really ugly guy over there)

I actually prefer the dug in vehicles as armored train, than vehicles on impassible terrain.

In "Taking the Train," the dug-in tanks are obviously ON the tracks. This helps with the illusion of the train.

Also, the tracks are elevated so they are a bit higher than the surrounding terrain. This helps to make it easier to spot and target (which seems realistic).

And besides, once spotted, the armored train is NOT turning out to be much of a problem to dispose of. Good fun though!

I think that the vehicles on rough terrain would sort of lose the visual fiction of an armored train. Also, you'd end up getting track hits and such. Immobilizations.

Along this line of thinking, you could line up some SMALL, HEAVY buildings and place AT guns in them. That might work more like an armored train. (But it would just look like a line of heavy buildings.)

smile.gif

Gpig

Gpig hit it, its looks more "armoured trainish" if they are dug in. Tried a variety of options on trains and oddly that one worked out best. (dug in vehicles on a track

Second best was Pillboxes on a track-but really tough

Worst was putting walls and other impassable terrain on either side and trying to get them to "move like a train" what you always got was a train wreck.