Is there plans to make a third CM?

James, hi,

Yup, I am happy to say there will be a new version, with a completely new engine :D . Entirely new graphic engine, and all other matters in new versions.

My vote is for 1970s Cold War. There is some hope of this, as it has not been turned down. But we will have to see what the guys come up with.

The number one major hitch of the current engine, Borg Spotting, will be a thing of the past.

Sadly, the timescale is quite long. Eighteen months plus. It will be worth the wait though.

In the meantime we have the stunning CMBB to entertain us smile.gif .

All the best,

Kip.

My votes are for...

</font>

• Korea 1950-53</font>
  • Mediterranean inc. Balkans, Crete</font>
  • Early Western Europe (pre-D-Day, incl Narvik, Seelowe, Spanish Civil War)</font>
  • Pacific Theatre</font>
  • Middle East 1948-73</font>
  • North Africa</font>

in that order.

However, let it be said that I will most likely buy anything these guys come up with in future.

I hope they stick to their original plan for the Mediterranean, including North Africa. After all they kept the über-Finns happy with the Eastern Front, time to keep the über-Aussies happy smile.gif .

I'd also like to see the Pacific/CBI eventually, but given BFC's lack of interest in the topic I'll probably have to wait for somebody else to do it or carry on playing Rising Sun.

[ February 02, 2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Hi,

Borg Spotting means that once an enemy unit is spotted, any of your friendly units with LOS (Line of Site) to that enemy unit, also spot it. At first this may not seem a problem, but it is. Let me give an example.

Consider a situation in which you have an infantry platoon facing some scattered trees 600m in front of their positions. You also have a tank, 2,000m from the scattered trees, and at 45 degrees to the scattered trees. Suddenly an enemy anti-tank gun opens fire from the scattered trees aiming at your friendly tank 2,000m away. Your infantry force some 600m from the scattered trees will instantly spot the firing AT gun. This is reasonable and as it should be. However, because of Borg Spotting, your friendly tank, 2,000m from the scattered trees, and at 45 degrees to the firing AT gun, will also instantly spot the firing AT gun. This is less reasonable/realistic. What is happening with Borg Spotting is that once “one of your units” spots an enemy unit, it sends a message to all your other units indicating the location of the enemy unit. Thus “any of your units”, with LOS to the enemy unit, can spot it the instant “any single” friendly unit has spotted the enemy.

The adverse effects of the problem are sometimes over stated, in my view. However, it clearly is a problem. In the new engine, each of your friendly units will “individually” spot enemy units, thus no more Borg Spotting. In fact, there is also going to be the modelling of a radio net, so information can be transmitted from friendly unit to friendly unit, as long as they are on the same radio net. However, an infantry platoon that spots a firing enemy AT gun will not be able to instantly transmit that information to a distant friendly tank, as it does with Borg Spotting, as in reality they would not be on the same radio net. In fact , in WWII, the infantry platoon would often not have a radio at all.

I hope my long winded explanation has answered your question.

All the best,

Kip.

It seems that the lethality of weapon systems during the 70s can give the CM gamer quite a short lived experience when you consider the level of play that CM gives us.

What about helicopters? How would BTS do those? Will CM finally have visible air units?

Now I don't wish to squash anyone's hopes about achieving their desired levels of happiness, but I do remember BTS stating that they only wished to do World War II.

It seems that just like my desire for a Napoleonic CM, a 70s-ish CM might have to wait for a totally different game developer.

Good luck and God's speed. smile.gif

Take more of my money, please. Just give me another game in due time lol.

I for one would love to see North Africa, and the rest of the Med. Just think -

DAK. Enough said.

The Brits who aren't Brits - Aussies, New Zealanders, South Africans, Indians... Gurkas!

Eye-Ties with their funny armor, French on both sides.

Dust so bad it is likely fighting in fog, but only here not there, etc. Heat haze and horizon shimmer, glare, realistic obscuring by barrages (HE does half what smoke does as well as what HE does - that is why they fired a lot more of it). Not just "no Borg", but a sighting model so realistic it hurts (this is a wish list, obviously :) Mountains, deserts. Gun pits, "portees".

Sidi Rezegh, Gazala, El Alamein, Kasserine. Sicily, Salerno, Cassino, Anzio, the Winter Line.

Originally posted by Kirill S.:

The 1980s cold war could be the best, but 1970s will do fine.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! make the next CM a 1970s-80s cold war!! ;)

I think Korea is about as far as we can take this engine.

1986 cold war would be my favorite, but I think programing a ITV would drive Battlefront INSANE.

Originally posted by ichadwick:

My votes are for...

[*]Korea 1950-53

Korea won't work until they revise the Tac-AI to be better at handling a 360 degree battlefield.

Also, they'll need to improve the granularity of terrain, especially as regards altitude changes.

[ February 03, 2003, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Originally posted by JasonC:

Dust so bad it is likely fighting in fog, but only here not there, etc. Heat haze and horizon shimmer, glare, realistic obscuring by barrages (HE does half what smoke does as well as what HE does - that is why they fired a lot more of it).

This is right on the money.