--== Operation Störfang ==--

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both, I use both... Maps for turning it into a historical battle where everything is in its place and some artistic imagination to turn it into a nice enviroment. For example :

A2_Preview_Village.jpg

On this location, in real time, buildings were sited but it need a bit of imagination to turn it into a nice cosy village tongue.gif

A2 will the last scenario which will be released like A1 and B1.

There are coming some major changes in Operation Storfang :

</font>

• Because we have now very very detailed maps of the area of Sevastopol with high resolutions !!!</font>
  • We have found satellite pictures in black & white and in infra red (for showing forests en agriculture)</font>
  • We have found detailed strategic maps of the operation how it really was done in 1941 / 1942</font>
  • We have found lots of original reading material of Operation Storfang on paper ( like the full range of Signal Magazines from 1942)</font>
  • A1, B1 and A2 are not fully correct in scale according to the new material. These scenarios will be kept separated from the new ones. Because of the changes, the password system will be removed, making it possible for everyone to play these 3 battles.</font>
  • A brand new interface for managing the operation (and its files) is in development. It will look and play like an old platform game ( like the famous W.W.II game PanzerGeneral II smile.gif ).</font>

It will take some time before everything is finished but A2 will be released very soon. By the time that most of the players have finished this huge battle we will launch the new version of Operation Storfang.

Eichenbaum

He Nils,

sounds to good to be true. Cant wait to play a2 but then the new version is comming out.

Ive a p4 2.4 with a 128mb videocard will it be enough or are these battles as huge as"to the volga"

there it took my five mins to wait for one set.

hope you make some screens how the new version will look like

laterz

maus_td

One thing I feel the need to ask, since I am 100% sure you have placed the AI forces meticulously in good defensive positions, how does it affect the scenario that the AI, in all probapility, will start moving its forces around towards spotted enemis?

For example in my game I am 99% sure I am encountering enemy units in places they weren't at the start of the game, walking around with the dimwitted AI logic.

Also I am not sure if I want to spend my arty on the most obvious targets since if the AI was there at some point, I don't think it is any more and instead is walking the defenders towards me somewhere on the map.

As to the game, very engrossing and in these kind of huge maps with sometimes limited assets on one flank or another you really discover how a single small caliber ATG can nevertheless stall a big attack for a long while. Feels very realistic.

Ligur,

The AI does move units after the first setup. It's starting position is always the same, it doesn't matter how often you start the game. But the AI is very selective in the units that are about to move to a certain point. Recon vehicles will be used for their task. You can also expect counter attacks or spontaneous partisans running towards you after they have spotted your units somewhere. It makes the game a bit more dynamic.

But large fortified positions will be left alone most times because the AI 'knows' it can't just leave the trenches or foxholes because of their strategic value. I have seen the AI moving small AT guns but never encountered a bigger gun like the 76.2 mm on the move.

Don't expect large migrations then except for the reinforcements which need to be transported to the frontline.

So... use your artillery, you don't have all the time of the world. Arty planning in the field does take a while.

Good luck & lots of fun !

Eichenbaum

Originally posted by MAUS_TD:

He Nils,

sounds to good to be true. Cant wait to play a2 but then the new version is comming out.

Ive a p4 2.4 with a 128mb videocard will it be enough or are these battles as huge as"to the volga"

there it took my five mins to wait for one set.

hope you make some screens how the new version will look like

laterz

maus_td

Your setup should be plenty, I think. Judging from A1 (the only one I've played so far, but just about to move to the next) your turn processing time should take just a minute or maybe two. I'm on a P 1.8 with 512 MB RAM and 128 video card and the scenario is a little slow for me, but perfectly manageable.

"To the Volga" is another story... :(

<h1>A2</h1> is being tested right now. A small problem is that almost all of the test players are on holyday.

So...... If there are advanced CMBB players who have the time and like to test a huge operation please contact me! It is important to have plenty of spare time and the patience to wait for the AI's turns (a decent system like a Pentium 4 and >= Geforce III is a must). You need also like to write the testing reports and post them on a restricted forum. After its release these testing reports will be available for every visitor on our website.

My e-mail address : eichenbaum@eichenbaum.org

Eichenbaum,

Re the units I mentioned, it is a Rumanian batallion situated at the north east corner. They are not padlocked, but have no corresponding colored set-up place.

It does not matter much, they are noit situated bad or illogical, it is just that they are sitting there at the very edge, in a row, like they ought to be placed somewhere.

Bertram

Originally posted by Bertram:

Re the units I mentioned, it is a Rumanian batallion situated at the north east corner. They are not padlocked, but have no corresponding colored set-up place.

It does not matter much, they are noit situated bad or illogical, it is just that they are sitting there at the very edge, in a row, like they ought to be placed somewhere.

Could they be intended to represent first turn reinforcements? Or just an oversight?

Michael

Originally posted by Bertram:

Eichenbaum,

Bertram

You're right Bertram. They ought to be placed somewhere. After the changes that were made from the 1st version these troops didn't got the right location. Thanks for the tip!

A1 has been updated and this platoon is now at its place :

Lost_Platoon.jpg

About to finish battle 2 in A1. I'm enjoying myself immensely.

::MINOR SPOILER:: I was able to fight a Russian battallion to a standstill with a few paratroopers and slowly deploy a part of my forces around them to make a nice killbox; they are being bullet spammed by AFV's from two flanks, jaegers and combat pioneers from the front and to top it getting hammered by a 150mm FO targeting to 150 meters in front of him from a hidden position. It can't get better after all the trouble I had to go through to get this done. Oh yeah, and the Romanians are badass on my right flank.

::MINOR SPOILER::

This is what games are made for right?