CMBO/CMBB Anthology of useful posts!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a total newbie here I think I can make a good suggestion.

I am playing the Demo now (ordered the full version, but have to wait :( ).

If some of you old timers gave some tips on how to play the two scenarios provided it would go a long way to helping me and others into this highly complex game.

Just a suggestion. I look forward to reading as much as I can in the near future.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Herder:

Being a total newbie here I think I can make a good suggestion.

I am playing the Demo now (ordered the full version, but have to wait :( ).

If some of you old timers gave some tips on how to play the two scenarios provided it would go a long way to helping me and others into this highly complex game.

Just a suggestion. I look forward to reading as much as I can in the near future.<hr></blockquote>

Some simple suggestions

Lead with your infantry

Keep your armour back in a supporting role

Determine where the enemy strength and concentration is

target that concentration with arty or mortar fire

if that doesn't work...

use lots of smoke then advance quickly from cover to cover

how's that for quick and dirty?

a few more hints

How to get your armour whacked:

- A quick guide for Panzer Commanders -

1.) Always scout with armour, not infantry. Tanks with closed hatches are great for spotting AT teams and other threats. (Don't forget to close quickly within 200 m of all suspected hideouts for cover of AT teams :) )

REMEMBER

In Combat Mission if a PIAT/Bazooka/PanzerShreck/panzerfaust round (Anti tank Shaped Charge) gets a "hit" anywhere on ANY tank in the game there is close to a %90 chance that tank will be ko'd (K-kill) and if not K-Killed then immobolized with an M-Kill is very likely. These weapons at their MAX range can be deadly out to 200 meters ! (but at that range a hit is VERY unlikely :)

2.) Always go head-to-head with enemy armour, especially if you have weak armour, a puny gun or both.

3.) Avoid moving your tanks into hull-down positions, move them up a hill and wait...

4.) Always attack PAK bunkers with single tanks from the front.

5.) Open all hatches on your tanks during an arty strike so that your TC gets some fresh air.

6.) When facing heavy armour, never try to use fast tanks to get flank shots, they might overheat or run out of gas.

7.) When an airstrike is approaching, don't move your armour into some scattered trees. Let them sit in

open spaces to confuse the enemy pilots.

8.) The tank is the ideal weapon for street fighting, never forget that.

9.) When using lightly armnoured tanks, ignore enemy HMGs. Show them your flank or rear so they'll be

embarrassed.

10.) Always commit your armour within the first 5 turns. You will never need it later in the game.

P.S. Someone else made up this Top Ten ways to get your armour whacked but I don't know who to credit here, and I did edit it a little myself. Fess up, if you wrote the orignal list and I would be happy to credit you with its authorship smile.gif

--------------------

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]</p>

I'm so happy that this anthology of tips has been created. As a green/new/newbie/fresh/dead-at-the-side-of-the-road-roasting-hotdogs-off-his-flaming-vehicle-hulk kind of player I shall devour the knowledge presented. Perhaps I shall even dedicate my first surviving vehicle in your honor.

Related to the 'how to' guide for tank destruction, I learned very quickly that my German "Chance Encounter" drivers ought to read their owners manuals before wheeling through town to face down the American invaders. "Hmmmm, it says we're 'lightly armored' and best suited for ambush. . . "

• 2 weeks later...

He, he. My greatest contribution to the game was to link to other people's clever insights.

Scouring old posts in this forum was what made the difference for me between abandoning this game and getting passionately into it.

It's a pitty that I couldn't have dedicated more time to maintain a growing and organized index page of posts. A lot of great stuff has been posted since I did this.

Well, I am glad it is helping others. smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Knowledge is power!

{throws Gammon bump}

Ka-blooie!armgb2.gif<hr></blockquote>

Originally posted by funkedup:

Thanks for this thread. Great board.

Yup. I used to read "other" things, but its been mostly tactics and WWII history for me of late. Life could be worse.

btw, cool handle you've got there...

"Make my Funk the P-Funk, 'cuz I wants to get...."

;>

[ June 03, 2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Originally posted by markshot:

He, he. My greatest contribution to the game was to link to other people's clever insights.

i was leachin' off other ppl's work while you when you were still trying to figure out why bts sent you a manual and not the cd... ;)

but i linked to this in the faq...so i am a tagger on of a tagger on! redface.gif