Small Town Magyar

Tried out this scenario out of JasonC's Little Saturn pack, as Soviets against Hungarians: depleted (but reinforced) Sov Battn attacks Hungarian held town.

SPOILERS

As usual in scenarios, made a hash of it the first time round-- just too many units to control. Roughly speaking, sent in assault force into the heavily shelled part of the town (on my right), overwhelmed whatever I found there, then ponderously hooked left. The various reinforcements I just sent forward on diversionary attacks forward, where they fared rather middlingly.

The "armoured fist" of T 34s I sent into the town with tank riders. The light tanks T-70s, I sent curving around the town, but they ran into enemy armour and died.

I re-edited the scenario. mostly suppressing the reinforcements on allied side, and leaving:

1. the assault force on my right, with

a. infy point, 2 rifle squads and plt.

b. assault body, commanded by Battn commander: 2 SMG squads, 1 rifle sq, 1 ATR

c. floating heavy weaps. groups.

d. two reserves: pioneers, remaining SMG

e. the 122mm FO

f. reinforcement: T 60s

2. The surprise reinforcement:

a. T 34s and SMG riders

b. T 70s

Group 1, as before, made for the ruined part of town, then squads worked their way left, from cover to cover, with T 60s abreast and SMG-heavy assault group trailing.

Group 2, as before, made for the houses and the road block on my left, working their way forward with HE and SMG work.

Clock ran out: good progress on the right, whenever anything encountered it was smothered by return fire, but by the end enemy reinforcements started to make themselves felt, especially light armour, which was not quite held in check by ATRs and the 20mm cannon on the T-60s.

On the left, some progress, but butted into enemy reinforcements fed into the fire fight, cat and mouse with enemy PZ-IV. A draw.

[ May 15, 2008, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: jtcm ]