directx problem?

Did you have the 1.06 update installed?

The game needs the 1.06 update to work on Vista.

You could also try to install the april update of dx 9.0c. That is recommended with most "old" games nowadays. Vista is shipping with a "bad" version of dx 9.0c.

Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I would also suggest installing DirectX v9.0c as it seems to resolve issues with some games running on Vista.

FYI, DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 can both be installed and run exclusively from each other on Vista... this is a change from older implementations of DirectX since DirectX 10 is a completely new set of instructions separate from older versions.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

• 1 month later...

I finally found time to get back to this issue. Downloaded and installed DirectX9c. No change in the problem.

The sequence of events is as follows;

1-game begins initial load just fin through selecting the nscenariond options.

2-game starts "LOADING"

3-music becomes choppy

4-game starts "CALCULATING SUPPLY"

5-after a significant legth of time an error window titled "draw_sprite_on_map_surface" opens with the following erroe message "DIRECTX FAILED: DDERR_SURFACELOST"

Do I have to do something to disable DircetX10?

• 3 weeks later...

brucertx, sorry about this as it looks like I missed your follow up.

Can you try the latest Video Card driver to see if that helps? Alternatively you can also try running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode or any other mode that will get the game running.

Vista has some issues supporting non DirectX10 games and usually one of these resolves the issue.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

brucertx, it sounds like that for whatever reason the video memory is being lost when it is attempting to draw graphics to the screen. Do you have competing programs running at the same time, perhaps the Editor and the Game running together or anything else that would be stealing video memory from what the game would require?

Fellows,

Thank you for your input. No other programs are running in the background. I've never even strated the Editor. Didn't know what they were, so I searched out Dream Scene and Aero desktop. As near as I can tell I disabled everything and set it to a "classic" views setting. Nothing works. A game that worked flawlessly on ME and XP won't on Vista Basic. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and the 1.06 patch. It's a bit frustrating. Guess I will have to shelve my gaming investment until a Vista ver. is available.

Appreciate your suggestions and time.

Bruce

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems :(

Vista is already scaring me beyond belief,

most of my old games won't work anymore :(

I'm sure Hubert will find a solution to your problem though.

When I had Vista running he traced a whole batch of problems down already, and it was running with the latest patch.

brucertx, I too am very sorry to hear you couldn't get it running... very odd error indeed as it is the only one I have heard of on Vista as for the most part SC2 has been able to run with only a few minor adjustments in some cases.

I have a feeling it might be related to the video card driver, can you tell me what video card you are running on the laptop?

Hi Bruce,

I looked on the HP site and I found the following two links that appear to have newer drivers then the one you listed above. They seem to be the right drivers based on your description, i.e. notebook running Vista with the same video card but please double check to make sure it all matches up on your end relative to the full description found on these links:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-51365-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-51371-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Note, they both have the same version number and release date but one is described as a Graphics Driver and one as a Video Driver... not really sure what the difference is but hopefully you'll be able to sort it out and hopefully this helps.

Hubert

Well Hubert,

This just gets stranger. Tried downloading the "graphics" driver and the insatall failed because it couldn't find any "existing componenets". So, I downloaded the "video" driver and it installed. Re-booted, started the game, same error.

I think I'm snakebit!

Bruce

Brucertx, sorry to hear it wasn't helpful and I still think it is related to something on your OS stealing video memory from the game. I also found a few links regarding possible memory issues with the card but it is hard to say if they are real or perceived and/or if they actually would affect SC2.

Have you had any luck with HP support?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Youri,

This was unfortunately an introduced error with v1.07 that we are quickly trying to correct.

As a workaround can you either try running the game in the same resolution as your desktop, or change your desktop resolution to the one you use in game.

Not an ideal solution for now but it will at least get you up and running until we have the proper fix ready to go in the coming days.

Hubert