Windows Vista Beta 2

I am trying the beta and have found that SC will load w/out incident. When I try to play it however I get and error saying that Direct X version 7 is not detected and the game quits. Whether you have seen this or have researched this I don't know but felt that you needed to know this.

BTW I have the newest Direct X installed,,and it may (and most likely is ) my fault some how

• 4 months later...

Long story short, and from what I have heard, Vista does not seem to have the dx7vb.dll system file in its Windows/System 32 directory (it should) and essentially this is causing the problem as SC2 dynamically links to this file.

If you happen to have access to an XP system you should be able to locate this file and I wonder if SC2 will work on Vista if you simply place the dx7vb.dll file in your SC2 installation folder on Vista.

Any confirmation of this would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

ikszkom, when you registered the dll did you have to 'Run As Administrator'?

I have yet to use Vista but I've heard that this might be a problem where in order to register these types of dlls you have to use 'Run As Administrator'.

If so I was wondering if you know of any Flags or Switches that enable you to run 'regsvr32' as an Administrator from the Command Prompt.

okay, just to get it from the beginning.

In Vista only the built-in administrator account works as real administrator.

Every other user in the administrators group have the admin rights removed from their token, so they work as normal user (this is the so called UAC feature).

So, to do admin tasks like registering a dll you have the following choices:

-run the cmd elevated

(start-all programs-accessories-right click "command prompt" and choose "run as administrator, you can also set in the "command prompt" properties that you want to run it always as admin

or

click the start orb, type cmd in the search bar, and press ctrl+shift+enter)

-use the builtin administrator account

-disable UAC alltogether (control panel-user accounts-Turn User Account Control on or off)

Okay the issue for me is that for SC2 Blitzkrieg I run a system command to register the dll if it is not already registered. This works under XP etc., but it sounds like Vista needs this command run as an Administrator in order for it to work.

The preferable solution is of course to not force the user to register the dll and simply have the SC2.EXE register the dll as necessary... so I guess my question is if it is possible to register the dll via a System call (similar to running regsvr32 from the Command Prompt) as I do now under XP and have it seamless where the user has no idea what is happening but that the game simply just works sort of thing

i'm not a developer, so i can't really help you in this case.

but, if you want to install any program you will have to elevate.

If I run the SC2 setup, the system will detect that it needs real admin permissions, and will pop me up about it, if i allow it, then it should work just as in xp.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by ikszkom:

another issue, if I launch the editor and create or load a new campaing, get the following error:

draw_current_sprite(5)

DIRECTX FAILED: Unspecified Errors

Same problem here now. Odd though it worked fine till i installed the Pink fix :<

Edit just rolled back to the normal 1.06 patch, still the same problem. Very odd, didn't have this last week on 1.06.

[ March 02, 2007, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: n0kn0k ]

Got a workaround for it now smile.gif It involves two settings:

- Enable Desktop Composition

- Use Visual Styles On Windows And Buttons

Be sure to keep these 2 settings activated when you go to:

Computer => Rightclick => Properties

Advanced System Settings => Advanced => Performance => Settings

Enjoy smile.gif

bugfix.jpg