The Somme

37mm

I've finally finished my Somme scenario pack.

It features 10 scenarios most of which are relatively small, (hopefully) reasonably balanced & designed for play between two human players.

I could not fully playtest all of the scenarios so they have been put onto the Proving Grounds website (search for CMAK scenarios by Author SIR 37MM).

Several points I'd like to point out before you play...

Australians & Italians

The Pioneer units from these two nations are the only units in CMAK that don't come with a squad LMG. Therefore these two unit types will represent the riflemen who fought on the Somme.

Fireplans

Artillery is generally plentiful in the scenarios but it is often light... the British 18 pounder & German 77mm field guns being the most common pieces used on the Somme.

In the scenarios virtually all FO's are conscript & often starting visibility is poor, as such your initial fireplans (both offensive & defensive) are very important.

In many scenarios there will be special rules for using your artillery, these will be described in your briefings.

Semi historical

Yes I know the Contalmaison map is a little off & I know that the Quadrilateral was attacked by two battalions on the 8th of October & not the one that I depict... more often than not the errors are deliberate & for game balance reasons.

The Scenarios...

Lochnagar Crater on the first of July

uo0008aw3.th.jpg

Hidden Copse, near Fricourt on the first of July

uo0012wk9.th.jpg

Contalmaison, on the night of the 7th of July

uo0013me1.th.jpg

Longueval, on the morning of the 14th of July

uo0007as1.th.jpg

High Wood, late July

uo0014bb4.th.jpg

Delville Wood, late July

uo0010bt1.th.jpg

Mouquet Farm, August

uo0011wq9.th.jpg

The Loop trench near Combles, 15th of September

uo0009fz3.th.jpg

[ July 15, 2007, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Sir 37mm ]

Regina Trench, 8th October (by far the largest scenario)

uo0005mn5.th.jpg

Beaucourt train station, 13th November

uo0006ln0.th.jpg

Hope you enjoy... any feedback would be greatly appreciated

I've a few mod suggestions...

ETO terrain mods

Coiled Barbed Wire

RockinHarry's shattered tree mod

Some Cesspoolers have helped me with some of the playtesting & as such I'd like to thank...

Sir Joe Shaw

Sir Stickpixie

and

Sir Boo Radley

PS

Some people are having problems downloading the scenarios from the Proving grounds, in that case I'd be happy to send a zipped pack of the latest versions to their email address.

Just PM me.

[ January 25, 2007, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Sir 37mm ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I dunno - looks like a Peng Thread special - how come the Canadians are all "Green"? :confused:

Several reasons...

Infantry in CMAK are a little too brave... CMBB was probably more realistic in this regards.

Even so, all the Green troops get a +1 morale bonus anyway.

However Green troops receive greater command delays which I feel is appropriate considering no-one has radios in 1916.

It is 1916 & all elements of the British army are still learning the trade.

I'm pretty sure that the Canadian official history mentions the poor training of recent recruits & heavy casualties in previous battles as one of the reasons for the failures on the 8th of October.

Semi-historical game balance reasons.

If you want I can take the Canadians & show you how to kick those Germans out of that Trench.

Originally posted by Hans:

A splendid campaign. I did some WWI scenarios in CMBO but nothing to this level of achievement. Well done.

Try some slow under armoured tanks. Very interesting

Actually there is a tank in one of the scenarios... tanks will be more common in my 1917 & 1918 packs which I'll likely end up making.

As I won't be able to delve into all of these immediately, and I have a passing interest in early tanks, which particular scenario would that be? What kind of WWII era tank could you use to simulate what I'd assume is a MarkI or II? Obviously you would need thin armor, but what would you do to find one that is thin skinned AND heavily armed enough? I mean early war lights have thin armor, but are only armed with machine guns, while the male MarkIs and IIs had 6pdrs.

Originally posted by jwatts:

As I won't be able to delve into all of these immediately, and I have a passing interest in early tanks, which particular scenario would that be? What kind of WWII era tank could you use to simulate what I'd assume is a MarkI or II? Obviously you would need thin armor, but what would you do to find one that is thin skinned AND heavily armed enough? I mean early war lights have thin armor, but are only armed with machine guns, while the male MarkIs and IIs had 6pdrs.

Personal message sent

Originally posted by jwatts:

Nevermind that, I got the Email, then again I can't figure why the tank chose is used. Probably the best one available, I'd assume.

Well, obviously, I think it's the best I could've chosen... though I'm open to any other suggestions.

It's tricky using a WW2 engine to create WW1 battles... though it is surprising what you can do... I've recently realised that I'll be able to represent 1918 French & American forces (though not before, unfortunately) pretty well.

[ January 29, 2007, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Sir 37mm ]

Oh,by the way Sir37mm I appreciated your offer of a game (actually, I think you wanted me to playtest with you, you sneaky boy). Was tempting but my dance card is a bit full right now and I'm not sure I like the idea of herding cats. I do think being the Germans would be instructive - perhaps if the offer is open at some future date I may take you up on it. But thanks again for the generosity - will continue to watch this thread and the scenario discussions at TSD with interest.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Oh,by the way Sir37mm I appreciated your offer of a game (actually, I think you wanted me to playtest with you, you sneaky boy). Was tempting but my dance card is a bit full right now and I'm not sure I like the idea of herding cats. I do think being the Germans would be instructive - perhaps if the offer is open at some future date I may take you up on it. But thanks again for the generosity - will continue to watch this thread and the scenario discussions at TSD with interest.

No problem GrogDorosh, I'd figured you were busy... and it is a large scenario

You know I think there are at least 160 trench sections in that scenario and if I am to do away with the 50/50 trenches that means doubling them up at some point...sigh

It's almost enough to make me wish the Germans had built pillboxes earlier...

Still the offer is open for anyone and for any of the scenarios... I've finished a few of my PBEM games & so have slots free