Help with bridges

Ok, I am a complete noob at making scenarios/battles. I have tried and tried, but I cannot find a way to get bridges to meet up with roads. They seem to just end out in the air. I even tried to raise the elevation fo the ground at the end of the bridge, but this either left a gap between the bridge and the road, or if I ran the road under the bridge it was there running all the way to the end of the square under the bridge. Hopefully there is a better way to do this. Thanks for any help.

Light and medium bridges require abuttments of two height levels greater than the terrain they cross. Heavy bridges require abuttments four levels greater. However, if you only elevate the one gird immediately adjacent to each end of the bridge it won't work. Several grids around each end must be changed. Kind of like so:

aaaqz7.png

Run the road up to the bridge and you'll get a level transition from bridge to road. Like so:

aaaadq0.png

Also --

Avoid making turns right before a bridge. This will look uneven on the bridge approach.

Also... it helps to keep the path of the river straight one tile on either side of the bridge. This eliminates rough bridge/road transitions as well.

Look out for swamps/marsh next to the river and the bridge. This is automatically changed to the level of the river.

If the *river* is to be the same level as the surrounding ground, then what you've got is really a marsh.

If you want the bridge to be the same level as the surrounding ground, then it seems it can't be done, but you can make (using the above examples) much more (or all) of the surrounding ground base level 11 or 9 (rather than 7) to get rid of the 'hummock' before you get to the bridge.

The other way I guess is to 'lower' the river by 2 or 4 levels.

Originally posted by JAFisher444:

Thanks for the info guys, I was hoping that the method you suggested was not the way. I dont like how it works. Anyway, I guess you work with what you got.

Thanks

Joshua

Don't raise the bridge, lower the water.

You can also try going to "gentle" terrain elevation instead of "normal." That makes the river look closer to the ground around it. The bridges will look more "squat". Pretty is not in the CM vocabulary.