Can't Load PBEM Games

I have started 2 PBEM games, and my opponents have each returned the PBEM files, which I saved to the c:\program files\strategic command\Pbem folder. However, when I select Load PBEM game from the main menu, SC promptly closes and dumps me to the desktop. Everything else is fine (including loading saved games).

I am running v1.02.

I uninstalled demo, and re-installed SC and pacth over the top of existing program.

Any thoughts?

Yes could be the problem that your opponent is sending you files that are not from v1.02 and also when you uninstall, some files created after installation may not be removed by the uninstaller. Double check that the folders SAVE and PBEM are empty after the uninstall.

A quick hint, when you apply the patch, you don't actually have to uninstall the original game and then reinstall, simply deleting those folders (SAVE and PBEM) or making sure they are empty should do the trick!

Hubert

I figured it out - one of my 3 opponents was sending me a file, which if I placed into Pbem folder, it would crash the game every time.

Incindently, that file was 0 bytes in size, but my opponent kept insisting he sent 465KB. One I got rid of it , no problem opening others.

Hundminen

STill havent been able to get a pbem game going. had no trouble with the demo at all. Now when I finish my first turn and get to the save menu where it says pbem I cant change the file name. I could always change the name after I have saved it as pbem but why is it happening in the first place?

Could you be a little more specific, does the interface not allow you to change it, i.e. the backspace key does not work?

As for the PBEM problem, the files should end in .sav, when your oppenent recieves the file, is it around 300-400K, otherwise it may have been stripped by his or your ISP and this could be the problem. If this is the case I would try zipping it as it seems to resolve this.

Edit: If you still think it should be working, send me the PBEM file and I'll try it out.

Hubert

[ August 14, 2002, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

I reinstalled cause i couldnt load a saved game. It seems to be working better now. I played both sides of a pbem game for a few turns and it worked. I didnt send the files, I just loaded and played them normally. My opponent wont reply to my first turn again until tomorrow so I will let you know how it works out.

thx,

dave

my pbem game is workin fine but when i tried to play against the comp , the first since i reinstalled i got this error:

SC.exe: dumping core to generate debugging information.

SC.exe: panic cascade: unexpected harmful signal -- Giving up...

SC.exe final panic: cannnot reclaim Eiffel objects-- giving up...

When i downloaded the patch. i moved the old exe out of SC completely and moved the new exe to the main SC folder. Is that correct? Of course I had extracted the SC patch to the SC main folder and it made its own folder there.