New scenario for test - "Strachwitz at Kalach Aug42"

The beta version of our latest CMBB Battle scenario, “Strachwitz at Kalach August 42” in “The Panzer Count’s Ostfront” series is now available for testing over at The Proving Grounds.

“Case Blue”, Hitler’s plan to defeat Stalin in the summer of 1942 is in full swing, and Strachwitz is again at the very tip of the spear.

On the 8th August 1942 at the northern edge of the Kalach bridgehead, the remnants of General K.S. Moskalenko’s 1st Tank Army man a defence line on and behind the Liska River, only a short distance from the river Don. They have their orders: Not a Step Back!

16th Panzer Division with Strachwitz’s panzer battalion at the tip, attempts to seize an intact bridge over the Liska River at Ostrov and then link up with the 24th Panzer division at the Don River. They have their orders: Panzers forward!

This scenario is classed as ‘Huge’ and it does have a large map (4km x 2.2km) but unit sizes are pretty manageable.

This scenario is best played as H2H or as Human (German) against Soviet AI with AI sticking to ‘computer player uses scenario default’. Seasoned CMBB veterans playing against the AI could give it a combat experience bonus of at least +2.

If played as H2H more experienced player should play the Germans.

Designers Notes

This scenario is classed as semi-historical as we have had to make compromises with the map scale and unit sizes to fit them into a CMBB battle frame. Units are representative in that relative proportions are correct. The map is at about 1/3rd scale.

During research for the battle we discovered that there were two Soviet tank aces involved in the fighting Sergeant Khazov and Lt Solovyev.

This scenario is available for playtesting, and you can download the scenario at The Proving Grounds

Each zip file contains a command map and sketch map which are referred to in the German briefing. A full Strachwitz bio to accompany the series will follow in due course.

Feedback regarding how the scenario plays out would be most welcome J

About the Panzers Count’s Ostfront

Blowtorchscenarios.com proudly introduces our second CMBB series, ”The Panzer Counts Ostfront” following our series on Jochen Peiper’s Kharkov 1942-43 campaign. As always our aim is to present interesting scenarios with as much historical accuracy as possible.

“The Panzer Count”, of course, is the legendary German tank commander Hyazinth Graf (Count) Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz, who survived the war as a Generalleutnant of the Reserve and holder of the Knight’s Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds, Germany’s highest award. We have chosen to focus on another German commander for the same reasons we focused on Peiper: the availability of information, not any political or national agenda. As with our Peiper series, we are devoting great effort to presenting the Soviet side with as much authenticity and detail as possible.

In this series we will try to present a cross-section of his Ostfront battles from 1941 to 1945. We have chosen those battles which, in our opinion, best characterize his military genius while offering interesting and reasonably balanced challenges.

Hi Aragorn!

Glad you are errr... enjoying it :D

You'll be surprised how easy it can be to take out the bunkers and you'll kick yourself when you find out how ;)

I've jsut uploaded a slightly twekaed version in that I have changed the fanatacism level. A small issue was raised over at the Proving Grounds about how the AI reacts so hopefully this might change that.

Look forward to hear how you get on. Good Luck! smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by kenfedoroff:

Hi All,

Is anyone up for a pbem of Strachwitz at Kalach?

I can usually do a turn/file a day. ...more on weekends...

Salute,

Ken

Sounds good! you choose your side - send e-mail to john.hepburn1 at ntlworld.com. I'm from UK and it'd be blind apart from what's been writen here.

Originally posted by Der Alte Fritz:

Hi George

Had a couple of goes crossing the first river. Drop smoke and then follow orders and drive tanks over which is fine but I leave all my pioneers behind on the crossing as they are brushed off by fire from infantry in trenches. Assume this is correct and that I just have to reposition my smoke?

cheers

Left some comments for you over at TPG ;)

Cheers fur noo

George