R&D and FOW

mcaryf

Hi

Is there any way I can tell if my opponent has developed longer range aircraft either before or (more likely) after he has used the facility against me.

This may sound a bit strange so I will clarify. Do I have to keep noting where my opponent's air originated and count the hexes or is there some unit characteristic (like the jet a/c blobs and changing images) that also indicates that they have drop tanks or whatever.

Finally it would be a nice feature (SC2?) if the R&D table was populated for your opponent, even with FOW on, with the information that you have had the opportunity to observe. Thus this info might not be correct, as your opponent might have secretly progressed, but it would reflect what you would know if you had been paying attention.

I'm afraid that there's no way of telling without counting the hexes or sailing up next to his carriers (if he's got some) and seeing what strength they are.

The thing is that if your opponent has it, he'll probably use it, so watch his air attacks carefully. Fortunately it will make repairing his aircraft more expensive, so it's not all bad news if he does get ahead of you.

Thanks for that Bill101. I had not thought about spotting the CV's probably because it does seem strange that CV strength goes up with range but then I suppose it was thought that WW2 Carriers would not be able to land jets. I am in any event currently playing the Allies (only my second game) and the German AI has decided not to adopt a naval strategy, mind you it only has one or perhaps two aircraft left (it is 1946) so not really following an air strategy either!