Can you win Götterdämmerung in SP?

Boron

I think in MP it is only fun if you are totally masochistic. In SP though the scenario is imho fun and challenging.

I tried it now several times but always failed though.

The problem is i got always slowly worn down.

The Italy front holds forever.

But russia quickly conquers Finland and thus gets a nice Pillage Boost and even more troops for the main front.

They make only very very slow progress but to the really strong air force of the allies in the west i loose every turn 1-2 korps.

And the russians destroy averagely 1 of my korps per turn too.

You only get ca. 500 MPP as germany though but i lose every turn stuff worth about 600-700 MPP.

I tried disbanding my 4 air fleets and my battleship, this seems a helpful boost at the start and lets me hold the eastern front on the border of the reich and in the romanian mountains.

But after about 10 turns normally either the eastern or western front collapses.

Can you win the 44 scenario vs. the ai or is it too difficult?

I've never played this scenario, but my experience is that you can ALWAYS win against the AI...eventually. The included "Overlord" scenario is definitely winnable as Axis.

AI is very methodical, but not very creative. (Think British generals in WWII). So to beat him, be creative (and deceptive). You will probably get beat up the first 10-15 times you play a scenario vs. AI (espeically at the +2 setting), but eventually you'll figure out the way to exploit his weaknesses.

The various settings (novice--expert) mostly affect how long it takes to win.

Another fun way to play the later scenarios is to play as Allies, let AI have Axis and try to win by the historical date (May, 1945).

SB

How do you guys win that overlord scenario??

I can get a favourable draw almost each time. But a win.... Can't do it time. I can get russia surrender, but not UK and definately not US.

What I do is to move all AFs west and take out allied Afs. And almost all armies west too, to deal with the landings. Meanwhile I send HQ and two german corps to protect Finland and bind USSR troops there. Then swift east and beat USSR. Italy is defended by 3 corps.

Is that a totally wrong approach?

Oops. I mis-spoke (typed?). When I said "win as Axis" for Overlord, I should have said "draw." It would be a tall order to defeat Russia then build up a navy to defeat Britain and the US.

But holding off the invasion and then beating the Russians is pretty good for Germany in 1944 smile.gif

Sorry!

• 4 weeks later...

"But russia quickly conquers Finland and thus gets a nice Pillage Boost and even more troops for the main front."

Isnt there some historical event written in the game that takes Finland out of the war in 1944 fall? At least there should be.

;) these highly confidential paper show the famous secret plan of Feldmarshall Terif how to defeat the allied D-Day. Please take note that we don´t expect to conquer the US in the allowed time frame but the rest of the world will be ours.

Feldtrompeter,

Das 1944er Szenario hab ich mal vor langer, langer Zeit gespielt, als noch die AI mein Gegner war . Ich hebe immer alle Spielstände auf, so hatte ich die Gelegenheit da wieder reinzuschauen .

Obwohl ich damals im Rückblick viele - für heutige Verhältnisse - haarsträubende Fehler gemacht habe, hatt die Achse damals doch mit 224 Siegpunkten gewonnen - höchste Schwierigkeitsstufe, allerdings 0 Erfahrung (müsste aber auch gegen +1 zu gewinnen sein, +2 wäre dann fraglich ob die Achse noch eine Chance hätte).

Hier ein kurzer AAR:

- 1944: Die Achse zieht sich in Russland auf die Linie Riga-Minsk (hinter den Fluss)-Warschau-Rumänien zurück. Eingraben in Italien. Frankreich: Linie Bordeaux-Paris-Küste.

- Bis Mitte 1945 werden erst mal die gegnerischen Einheiten dezimiert: die Russen greifen immer über den Fluss an und können im Gegenangriff recht einfach vernichtet werden. In Frankreich können die Alliierten immer nur von max. 2 Feldern aus angreifen und da die Luftangriffe immer verteilt werden, reicht es nicht irgendeine Achseneinheit zu zerstören. Im Gegenangriff hatt die Achse aber teilweise 3 Felder (oder 2 von denen aus beschädigte Gegner angegriffen werden), was auch ohne Luftunterstützung (die Luftflotten sind in Russland) genügt immer wieder ein paar FeindEH zu vernichten.

- Mitte bis Ende 1945: Die Achse geht in Russland in die Offensive nachdem alle schweren gegnerischen EH entfernt wurden. In Italien beginnt die Dezimierung: Man lässt immer ein Hex offen, in das die AI dann einrückt, anschliessend wird diese EH dann von 3 Seiten angegriffen und vernichtet, solange bis nur noch die Rom-EH übrig ist - die sich da nicht freiwillig wegbewegt .

- Anfang 1946: Deutsche Truppen feiern die Vereinigung mit Finnland in Leningrad. Moskau und Stalingrad werden belagert.

- Mitte 1946: Italien wurde befreit. Moskau + Stalingrad erobert. Vormarsch auf den Ural.

- September 1946 Russland kapituliert.

- Spielende May 1947: Ganz Kontinentaleuropa - einschliesslich Spanien + Portugal - unter Achsenherrschaft. Vereinzelte Widerstandsnester in Nordafrika und Ägypten. England wird belagert von deutschen Luftflotten und Raketen.

Gegen den Computer ist das 1944er Szenario recht einfach zu gewinnen, wenn man die Unzulänglichkeiten der AI kennt: v.a. greift sie ohne Rücksicht auf Terrain und eigene Verluste an. Man kann sie also leicht in Hinterhalte locken. Ausserdem greifen ihre Luftstreitkräfte - und alle anderen auch - nicht kombiniert ein einzelnes Ziel an, sonder verteilen ihre Angriffe schön auf möglichst viele Ziele, damit sie ja keines zerstören .

Gegen einen menschlichen Gegner hat die Achse allerdings natürlich keine Chance, wenn dieser SC schon zumindest ein paar mal gespielt hat .