Historical vs. Semi-historical

Is there anyone who has an idea of where the line goes between them? I mean, how much reality is there need of to dare to name a scenario "Historical"?

Has the map to be 100%? :confused:

OOB? OK, thats the easier part! ;)

"Story"? Not always easy to make the AI to behave. redface.gif

You will not be able to make a 100 % fitting map, but if you want to depict a historical event, you should have at least a couple of landmarks, which played a role in the battle, right.

I must admit, that IMHO, this is something, that battlefront has been neglecting most, when releasing their games.

I don't care what the amators create - they do it for fun - but, if you want to make money with it, you should have at least, the maps that come with the game, right. Even CC did a better job.

BFC has created a wonderful engine, but it looked like, they didn't have any money anymore to spend on a some good topomaps and / or aerial reconaissance pics or even pre-war aerial coverage from national archives.

I am talking about 7-4 years ago. Now a lot of this information is even available for free on the internet.

If the map isn't right, you could as well place the two opposing forces on a soccer pitch. Could be fun to watch, but don't call it historical or semi-historical.

I don't belief, anyone is able to produce any accurate OoB, even for the most documented battle. Therefore, I have less problems with incomplete OoB's, as long as they are in a healthy relation to the reality.

e.g. I don't care if the Germans had PZIV J or H versions, if it were three, four or five, but just avoid to show up with a bln. of King Tigers.

Now, for development of the story. Actually, we are all arm chair generals, that want to RE-WRITE history, if we had a chance, not simulate!

Just put the two forces in their initial positions and let the dice roll.

So, for me counts: If map is reflecting convincingly the reality and OoB more or less right, call it historical.

If you use other OoB's, like in 'What if' scenarios, call it semi-historical, but...

[ranting mode] ...please call Team Desobry on the CMBO disc fictional. [/ranting mode]

Originally posted by McAuliffe:

I don't care what the amators create - they do it for fun - but, if you want to make money with it, you should have at least, the maps that come with the game, right. Even CC did a better job.

BFC has created a wonderful engine, but it looked like, they didn't have any money anymore to spend on a some good topomaps and / or aerial reconaissance pics or even pre-war aerial coverage from national archives.

Most (rather all) of the scenarios coming with the game are by beta testers who are not paid a dime for their contributions.

God points there! Makes me wonder what it takes to be labeled "semihistorical" then? Is it enough to have a proper OoB to the time and theater? Any map will do?

I have no intention to complain at the historical scenarios that goes with the game. Just looking for some definitions or what it takes.

For me, this game is more like a hobby. I like to do research and learn about history and try to modelling the historical situations. To recreate the situations makes history more alive to me, being able to play them out is a pure bonus. I guess I'm as sick as those people who build small scale railways

Btw. these threads from 2003 are of interest for the discussion:

What qualifies a senario/operation as historical as opposed to Semi-historical?

Historical vs Semi Historical Scenario

I can give you the criteria that was used for the CD scenarios, that I came up with. I think most of the authors who made battles/operations for the CD still use the format.

1. If you have sources on the formations and units and numbers on both sides, and you have an accurate map of the location, we called it historical.

2. If you could not meet any single part, or had to make a part up because of not enough information, then it should be called semi-historical.

Rune

[ July 01, 2006, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]